Mother

Yashvi Mehta, in the midst of a divorce mediation, rents a run-down apartment with her daughter, Ishaana. She enrolls ishaana in a nearby kindergarten and gets a job as a proofreader in a small publishing company. The ceiling of their apartment has a leak that worsens on a daily basis. Mehta  complains to the building secretary he does nothing to fix it. When she tries to contact the apartment above, she gets no answer.

Strange events recur: a red bag reappears no matter how often Yashvi tries to dispose of it. Hair is found in tap water. Yashvi gets glimpses of a mysterious long-haired girl around the complex. She becomes regularly late in picking up Ikuko from school and is stressed further when her ex-husband tries to take Ishaana. Several incidents remind her of the time she was abandoned as a child. When ishaana sees the long-haired girl in a yellow raincoat, she becomes ill. Yashvi discovers a flyer for a missing girl named Monali Kanwal , who had attended the same kindergarten as ishaana but disappeared about a year ago. Monali had worn a yellow raincoat and carried a red bag. Yashvi discovers the apartment upstairs is Monali's former apartment.

One day, Yashvi finds Ikuko in the apartment upstairs, discovering that the faucets have been left running and have flooded the entire unit. Yashvi decides to move out, but her lawyer convinces her that moving now would weaken her position in gaining custody of Ikuko. Her lawyer talks to the superintendent, who finally agrees to fix the issue. After the ceiling is patched, things seemingly return to normal. But Yashvi  finds that the red bag has reappeared. She heads to the building roof and notices that the water tank was last inspected – and thus opened – over a year ago: the same day Monali  was last reported seen. She comes to the horrific realization via a vision that Monali  had fallen into the tank while trying to retrieve her red bag and drowned. Meanwhile, her ghost attempts to drown ishaana in the bathtub.

Yashvi finds Ikuko unconscious. She grabs her and rushes into the elevator, fleeing from Monali. But as the elevator door closes, she sees that the figure pursuing her is in fact her own daughter – she is actually carrying Monali. Monali claims Yashvi as her mother in a torrent of water and Yashvi realizes that she won't let her go. With ishaana watching tearfully, Yashvi sacrifices herself by staying in the elevator to appease monali's spirit. Ishaana rushes to the floor the elevator stops but when the doors open, a flood of brown water rushes out and nobody emerges.

Ten years later, Ishaana, now in high school, revisits the now-abandoned block and notices that her old apartment looks oddly clean and lived-in. She then sees her mother, looking exactly as she did that fateful night, and they have a conversation. Yashvi affirms that as long as Ishaana is all right, she is happy. Ishaana pleads to live with her mother but she apologizes that they cannot be together. Monali appears behind ishaana. Ishaana turns but sees no one. When she turns back around, Yashvi has also disappeared. Ishaana realizes that her mother's spirit has been watching over her.