> Chapter 21 <

"Eat up, dear", my half done mango juice was once again refilled by Mrs Mendes, cautiously.

"Have you thought about it, Karen?", my mum beamed at Shawn's mum, eyes displaying high expectations.

I didn't pay much attention thinking they would probably be talking about their business; until I heard Mrs Mendes' reply.

"Absolutely. After all, they would look great together", confusingly I looked over my shoulders to find Shawn fiddling anxiously with his fingers, on the couch with both my brothers - Jake and Logan.

"What are you talking about, Mrs Mendes?", I brought up the question knowing I wouldn't even get a brief explanation about it from my mum later.

"Oh dear, do you not know-"

"Mum! I'm gonna go pick Aaliyah up from her friend's house. Can I bring Alexis with me?", Shawn stood at the end of the dining table, scratching the back of his head.

"Of course you can, dear. I'm sure Mr and Mrs Paul have no problem with that", Karen patted Shawn's arm approvingly.

It's certainly the best way to get out of this old-people-gossiping-scenario. I scurried towards the entrance followed by Shawn, after bidding my goodbyes to the others.

"Imma treat you some ice cream tomorrow for saving me back there", I let my feet do its job to find its way to Shawn's car.

"Actually... Aaliyah is having a sleepover at her friend's house and told me to let my parents know as late as possible so they wouldn't question much"

"Damn such a smart kid you have as your sister. So that means we ain't going out and gotta go back in?", my lips curved into a pout.

"About that... why don't we go on a long road trip and get the ice cream you told that you would buy", my nervous laughter erupted in the cologne filled car that we just got in.

"I was just kidding and it's my treat. It's always a gentleman's job anyways", he shifted the gear and we were out of the garage in an instant.

-

"I didn't know you like mint ice cream, Shawn. If I knew about it any earlier, I would've 'defriended' you"

"Defriended? Is that even-"

"Whatever, smartie Shawn. I had a great time at the ice cream parlor. You should've seen the priceless reaction of the boy when you asked for his girlfriend's number"

"The funniest part is that she was already giving her number out to me", Shawn chuckled along with my erupting laughter.

"Alexis?"

"Hmm?"

"May I ask you something?"

"Of course you can but I suggest you pay more attention to the road", I let out a teasing chuckle and earned the same one in return.

"Actually... what are we?", he asked.

Honestly, that stoned me for a second there. "What do you mean what are we, Shawn? We are best friends. Aren't we?"

"But both our parents think otherwise, Alexis"