Chapter 8: Playing with Fire

"Duck!" I shouted though he, yet again, ignored my words and got hit in the back with another fireball. I couldn't help but roll my eyes, groaning when he started yelling about listening to me.

"Shut up Seno, Lady Serena chose her to lead your branch because she's more mature and battle ready." Neila said, shaking her head, another fireball in hand. She was wearing the same uniform we were all assigned which consisted of golden chainmail overtop of white shorts and a white tank top.

"I'm not listening to my lesser dammit!" Seno shouted before growling and turning to me in anger. he looked kind of amusing for a moment, until it was obvious that his anger overrode his self control.

Within moments, I had him pinned to the courtyard wall by his throat. Power surged through me as a loud growl resonated from me, for a moment I felt like another person. I was pissed because he was questioning my authority and challenging me, here, I was a higher rank.

"You question my skills? Or is it because I am female? Lady Serena made ME Captain of our branch, not you. I will not hesitate to put you in your damned place." I growled, my grip tightening as he struggled to get free. for a moment I felt kind of wild, untamed, as if I was losing control.

As soon as I let go and allowed him to slip to the floor was when the dragon from before stepped into the courtyard and cleared her throat, causing me to spin on my heels and fall into the Guardians kneel in respect. Lady Serena seemed to have key timing for everything and today she had chosen to show up right after that display. Perhaps I wasn't suited for the position?

"I see you're putting hatchlings in their place, good, I hope you can do so with the others I am assigning to you. You have grip on the fire element correct? Well, I want you to teach them how to use theirs." Lady Serena said before walking over with a new uniform and kneeling down before me.

The uniform she handed me was a leather set of pants and a leather belly shirt covered in gold plating in a way that gave more protection and yet allowed full movement easily. A pair of golden shin guards rested on top of it all along with a special golden circlet.

I immediately accepted it and smiled thankfully at her before going to one of the tents that had been set up for medical and environmental reasons. It was a good thing the one I was in was empty but either way, I quickly changed and put my hair into a ponytail before putting on the circlet before I heard someone walk in. Their scent was like sulfur and gentle herbs, giving me a comforted feeling.

"The uniform looks good on you, Anna." Serena suddenly said behind me, causing me to turn quickly and growl. I could feel the other side of me moving in her sleep, as if reacting to what I'd heard. If this continued, she'd wake up and know the truth.

"Shut up." I growled dangerously. "I'm trying to-" I began to say but was cut off by Serena's laugh.

"Trying to hide the truth. You cant, you suspect. Or rather, your human side does. Its just a matter of time before she knows for sure." Serena said before ordering me to go back to work.

The whole day I had contemplated what she meant, until I realized she was going to be the one to tell my human half. She was making things difficult, how was I supposed to protect my human half now?

We all returned to our bunks at the end of the day and I felt disturbed. Not only was my life becoming threatened, but so was my human halfs. She wouldn't know the innocent bliss of being human anymore and we would actually be one person. I'd be gone soon.

~*~

I awoke in a cold sweat and looked at my clock to see that I was ten minutes late on getting up. Surprisingly, I was more worried about the pounding headache rolling through my head as I got up. I thought about just getting ready but thought better as I reached for my cheap little phone and called my mom, telling her I had a migraine and she told me to go back to bed. Thing was, I couldn't sleep.

"Dreams haunting you?" Someone suddenly asked, causing me to jump and yelp. "Calm, I just opened the window while you were talking to your mother. So, do you remember me telling you the truth?" She suddenly asked, making the headache worse.

I turned in my bed and glared at the woman. I knew now that my guess was correct, this was Serena, the dragon queen. I never dreamed, I, instead, lived another life in another realm. "What's going on?" I asked quizzically, wanting answers, immediately.

Without warning, she pulled out a lighter and was on the bed, yanking my hand towards her and holding a flaming lighter under it, too close for a human hand to stand. Even after my initial shock and panic though, I felt no pain. Only warmth that encased my whole body as I absorbed the energy, my migraine calming. I was stunned for a long minute as I stared at my hand when she left me pull it back. It was all true. I was the human half of a Serian.