Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The shattered past

As I walked the grounds of Hogwarts in the cold of mid-December, I thought of mum and dad as the tips of my fingers turned blue in sadness. Yeah, I'm a metamorphmagus. So was my mum, I never met her, she died in the battle of Hogwarts, so did my dad. Now I live with my Grandmother. I'm Teddy Lupin.

The bell rings, the song bouncing in my head. I slowly make my way to transfiguration with Professor McGonagall. Transfiguration is my favorite class. I like to think of myself as a continuing transfiguration class. I mean, I can change my appearance, and people always seem to have one way that they picture me and want me to be that way. Well, not Victoire. She understands me. Ahh, Victoire is awesome.

As I step into class, people stare at me. I don't like it when people stare. They all seem to be saying, you can change your looks but you can't change your personality. Like that's a bad thing. Sometimes I don't understand the way other people think. They all seem so, "You have to be this, you have to be that." I don't understand it!

Professor McGonagall tells us all to get out our wands and textbooks as we start our last lesson of the day. "Open up to page 73180." Ah. My godfather's classic. Making an Iguana disappear. Ah, seventh year. The year everyone gets obsessed with different well known witches or wizards. Most do with Harry. I can't stop thinking about mum, dad, and Harry until Victoire walks in. Her hair flows in big blond waves, her face regal and confident. I think she gets her beauty from her mother, Fleur, and her confidence from her father, Bill. "Ok class, read paragraphs 6-12. You have 5 minutes." Professor Mcgonagall says.

* * *

After class, I go down to the lake for a stroll. I watch the giant squid snatch a couple of doxies from the air. The squid doesn't have to think about judgement. Not that I should care anyways, I'm the Hufflepuff head boy. I mean, Hufflepuffs are supposed to not care what people think of them and do what they can to be kind. Plus, I head boy, I mean- that's when a strangely nobby piece of wood catches my eye. I slowly walk over to it, thinking what it could possibly be? A piece of driftwood? Some abandoned sculpture? As I get closer, I realize that it is broken in two. Why would that be? Then I get a good look at it. At first I thought it's my mind playing tricks on me. Am I going mad? I reach to pick it up. No. It really is. It's the Elder Wand. My mind goes crazy with the possibilities. Should I use it? Hand it in to professor McGonagall? Then it hit me. But should I? It would be risky. But if I could pull it off It would be amazing. I pocket the wand and leave for the Hufflepuff common room.

* * *

After everyone goes to bed I sit on a very comfy sofa close to the fire. I pulled out the wand. Could I really do it? Should I really do it? Probably not. But it would be so amazing to see mum and dad. Harry's always saying that nothing happens by accident. This can't be one. I just need to find the others. Where would the resurrection stone be? I know Harry has the Invisibility cloak. How would I get it though? UGH! I think I'll just go to bed. As I head to the dormitory I hear something. Or someone. "Who's there?" Creak, creeeak "I can hear you!" Creeeeak "Revelio!"

"Ah!" A clouded form came swooping at me from around the corner. "Teddy!"

"Kaye? What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in bed? It's almost 12:00!"

"You are not using that."

I try to play dumb. "What are you talking about?"

"You know what I mean."

"Huh?"

"That wand is dangerous, it has a curse, and it's broken anyways. You need to throw that back in the black lake."

"Fine, you caught me. But I am not throwing it away. I can bring my mum and dad back. I'm not just going to throw that away."

"Teddy. How are you going to even fix it?-which I'm not going to let you do.-It's broken into two pieces."

"I'll find a way. For my parents."

"Is this what they would want you to do? Would they want you to risk the lives of others-and the entire world-just to see them?"

"Well, I'm sure they would love to meet me. I hope."

"Teddy, don't do this. I'm begging you."

"This isn't about me. It's about my parents."

"That's not what it sounds like to me. You just want to see them for yourself."

I push past her angrily as she calls after me, asking me to reconsider. She's not in charge of me. She has no idea how important this is to me.