Fate?

The blurred forms of trees passed by as I gained speed. The woods were silent, with the exception of my 3D maneuvering gear buzzing with use. This was it, my final obstacle before becoming a full-fledged member of the survey corps. It has been 5 months since I first came here, seems like life-time ago. This is my life now, I have a purpose. Destroy the titans. A 20 meter tall piece of wood was approaching, show time. With ease I flung myself at the board and detached my 3D gear. This is what I loved the most, the feeling of flying. After a good 3 seconds, I pulled out my blades spinning completely and cutting the piece of the board that should have been a titan's neck. One down, nineteen more to go. I continued to race by the huge trees and cut down titan models of all different sizes and shapes. I took deep breaths calming my nerves, I can't mess up with Erwin and Levi watching. The last model was 50 meters tall and its neck was hidden by branches. Without faltering, or slowing down, I flew upwards over the branches. Above the trees was a bright and blue sky, so peaceful in a world of chaos. I flipped several times falling to the shaded world below, this is it. I did a final back flip and had both my blades ready. I dove forward cutting everything in my wake just as Levi taught me, I made sure to cut deep enough to "kill" the titan. After taking a quick glance at the damage I swooped down landing in front of the emotionless Levi and Erwin. What are they robots? I stood up and saluted both of them waiting for a response, my nerves increasing. Did I pass? Did I fail, both myself and Levi? Was all those sleepless nights learning Japanese for nothing? After what felt like an eternity Erwin responded.

"Congratulations, you are officially a member of the survey corps. You're skills are magnificent so you will be a captain alongside Levi. Don't let me down." Erwin gave me a small smile and passed me the official uniform. I nearly hugged him, but kept my composure when I took the uniform from his hands and ran my thumb across the dual wings. I did it, this was probably most accomplished I have ever felt in my entire life (not if you count the onetime I captured the legendary pokemon, dialga). Erwin left leaving me and Levi alone. It was until then I screamed with joy and hugged Levi. I was so much taller than him I nearly carried him.

"Let go of me you idiot." Levi pushed me off, but I could care less, I did it. I began laughing like a maniac earning a small smile from Levi, this is one of the rare smiles he gave me whenever I perfected something, or got caught doing something extremely embarrassing (not even going to think about that disaster). Of course they only lasted a second before he became emotionless again and started to yell at me. "Let's get this straight just because you are my partner doesn't mean I will treat you as one. I will also never let my guard down or hesitate killing you. Understand?" I snapped out of my heaven and became serious answering him with a curt nod, but even that couldn't kill the bubbling excitement inside.

JEAN POV*

"Soldiers!" a loud bellowing voice sliced through the commotion interrupting my fist colliding with Eren's face. How does that suicidal bastard gets so lucky?! I loosened my grip of him and saluted the man waiting at the door of the barracks, Erwin. After a few seconds of anticipation the man finally spoke. "All of you are reported to meet at HQ immediately. Further instruction will be given there." This was an order given to everyone, but he stared right at me until he turned around and left. That was weird. I shook it off and faced the people in the barrack, they were the elites, or what was left off them. I moved here to face more serious training to one day become a leader, but progress is incredibly slow and often means having to kiss ass to move up. I often wondered about the girl I left at the house, was she still training to be a soldier? Did she die? I was lost in my thoughts until Connie slapped the back of my head, snapping me back into reality, away from those green hypnotizing eyes. I slowly pulled myself together, following the long stream off other soldiers heading to HQ. What is all this about?

Almost an hour later all the soldiers reached HQ piling into a large open room with a stage in the front. Soldiers whispered amongst themselves as lost as I was. What is going on? Finally the tension was interrupted by the one and only Captain Levi walking onto the stage. He was followed by Erwin and other officials so high in rank that I've never seen them before. Their presence shut everyone up with shock and left all of us wondering what was going on, but that wasn't what left me gasping for air. It was the lean, tan girl following Levi with her long ponytail swinging behind her. It was Cristine. What is going on?! Why is she here?!

"Attention!" Everyone stood straight and saluted. It was finally time to get answers. "We have called you here to inform you off a change in the ranks." Erwin's voice stated firm and strong. "We have a new captain that will be alongside Levi handling the elite and experienced soldiers." He took a few steps aside and the captivatingly beautiful girl took his place in the center stage, but she looked different from when I last saw her. She seemed stronger, no more bandages across her face now fitted with a stern emotionless stare similar to Levi's. If I hadn't seen her smile so many times before I would have thought her to be heartless, cold. It was an even bigger surprise when she began to speak our language fluently as if she spoken it her entire life, with only a slight accent. "I am Cristine Davidson, but you will address me as Captain Davidson. I look forward to working with you to ensure the survival of the human race. I will also see that those with courage be guided to set the path to the future clear of titans." The next thing she did nearly gave me and every man in the room a heart attack, she gave the most dazzling smile I have ever seen. The room was silent for a few seconds before it burst into every man pledging their lives to her. Some were even crying, but I stood there with shock looking into her green eyes that stared into mine. I am so screwed.