Chapter 4: Riches

Chapter 4: Riches

*Jennifer*

Climbing off of my new cherry red motorbike I made my way to the front of the school. The bike was a present from my parents, it was meant to be my 19th birthday present but they won't get a chance to give it to me now. It was Monday, my first day back to school after the accident. After finding the safe room or the lair as my brother refers to it, a lot had changed. Seeing everything, the letter and the video really helped Alex and I. It was a huge step in helping us heal; he was finally talking to me again which was a miracle in itself. We spent all of Friday talking about our favourite memories of them and exploring the rooms. I still couldn't quite believe that they were working for the government, I felt like there was a part of them that I would never get to know.

My whole life suddenly had a new perspective and I could now clearly see all the things my parents had done to prepare me for the dangers and threats. There was finally a reason for the relentless self-defence classes and martial arts as well as the weapons training. The language lessons and computer classes now seemed like less of a hassle and more of a necessity. Thinking back on my life everything finally made sense. It was as if there was a piece of the puzzle missing and once found everything finally fell into place forming the full image.

Walking to my locker to collect my books I wondered where the girls were. I hadn't really seen anyone since the funeral. Emma and a few of the other girls had visited me a few times but I had mainly been texting them, they understood that I needed time to process everything and be there for Alex. Feeling a hand on my shoulder I turned towards the person. "Hey Jen, good to see you back." Matt said with a smile. We had gotten quite close in the last couple of weeks, he texted me almost every day while I was gone and I could easily say that he had become a good friend. "It's good to be back, after everything that's happened I needed some normality." "You know you can always come to me if you need someone to talk to." He said giving me a quick hug. "I know" I replayed, my lips forming a small smile.

******************************************************

By the time lunch arrived I was beginning to get back into the swing of things. Other than the presence of Matt and Ben at our table everything felt normal. Everyone was joking around and having fun together, I couldn't stop my lips curving into a smile as I looked over at Emma and Ben cuddling near the end of the table. She had finally got the nerve to talk to him and they had now been going out for about a week. They were perfect for each other and even though they had only been dating for a short amount of time I knew that they were starting to fall for each other. Feeling a poke in the side I turn to face Matt. "It's good to see you smiling again" he said poking me in the side in an attempt to make me laugh. He knew I was extremely ticklish, getting into it he began to tickle my sides. I tried to hold back the laughter but it was too much. I burst out laughing attracting the attention of all of our friends and a few of the neighbouring tables. "Stop! Please Stop. "I begged in between the fits of laughter. After a couple of minute he finally stopped, his face held a cheeky smirk. Looking around the table all my friends were smiling. "Some friends you lot are, just sitting there while he tortures me." I said trying to look angry. They looked so happy at hearing my laughter that I couldn't hold the expression long and soon felt a reluctant grin forming. Yep it was defiantly good to be back.

*James*

I put my hands in my pockets as I made past the revolving doors. Walking over to the desk I gave the receptionist a small smile. "Good afternoon Mr Hamilton if you would just step through the detector and wait at the elevator door the attendant will take you up to the gala in a minute. " she said also giving me a smile. I made my way through the airport style security and headed to the elevator. Once it had arrived I stepped through the heavy metal doors. The charity event was happening at the very top of the building. The money donated during the night would go to a huge rainforest conservation project buying land surrounding the world's major forests such as the Amazon in order to prevent deforestation.