Chapter 6: Encounter

*Jennifer*

I quickly sat down on the sofa. My knees had gone week and I was shaking so bad that I couldn't control my movements. If I hadn't sat down when I did within seconds my body would have given up and I would have collapsed onto the hard wood floor. Struggling to steady my breathing, I needed to start focusing. There had to be an explanation for Alex's disappearance, I needed to calm down and just think. He had left yesterday on his own and above all he had lied to me about where he was going. That meant it had all been premeditated in fact he might have even chosen yesterday knowing everyone would be here so my thoughts would be occupied. If he planned it at least I could be reassured that he was less likely to be seriously injured or worse kidnapped.

As I began to calm down a bit I couldn't help but begin to feel more and more hurt. He lied to my face, so casually as well. But somehow I didn't really feel angry about the lying just sad that he doesn't trust me. As the shaking finally stopped I slowly stood up and began to make my way to Alex's room. The closer I got the quicker I began to walk and soon I found myself running up the stairs. Barging into the room I quickly scanned the room. Being the room of a teenage boy it was quite messy with cloths and shoes scattered everywhere and the bed unmade. The door to his wardrobe was open and I could pick out a few items that were missing. Walking to his desk I began to look through all the papers looking for anything that would act as a clue to where he had disappeared to. Opening his laptop I found an envelope with my name on it.

Hey sis, by now you will have likely noticed that I am gone and if you are reading this I didn't return home in time for you to not notice. I have been doing a lot of thinking the last few weeks and I don't believe the way mom and dad died was a coincidence. I have gone to look for answers, don't worry about me I'll be fine.

Alex

As I read the letter I couldn't stop the tears of frustration. That was it less then four lines, nothing about where he went or when he would be back. The last few words 'don't worry about me' only made me worry more. Suddenly I heard the sound of footsteps and the creak of the hall floorboards. I quickly folded the letter and placed it in my pocket before wiping away my tears.

Turning around towards the door I tried to compose myself. Emma came in a few seconds later "Hey babe, we were looking for you to say good bye. Everyone needs to head out" "I'm on my way down" "Are you sure your ok? Your eyes are looking a bit red" she asked trying to get a closer look at my face. "I'm just fine " I tell her forcing out a smile. "They are just a bit dry, I came in here to check if Alex had any eye drops in his first aid kit " I really hated having to lie to her, as best friends we told each other everything and it killed me that I couldn't share this with her. In the end I knew it would be safer if she did not know about this aspect of our lives.

Making my way down stairs followed closely behind by Emma. I hugged everyone goodbye and promised we would meet up again soon. Closing the oak door gently behind them I turned the key feeling it as the door locked with a click. Walking towards my fathers old office I quickly found myself in the basement. Walking to the computer I quickly ran through the facts in my head. Alex had found something that had made him suspect foul play and it was likely to have been something on mom and dad's admin. I wouldn't easily be able to get into their account but maybe I wouldn't even have to. Assuming Alex did find something he would have likely transfered it onto his account. Quickly typing his details hoping he had not changed the password from that that mom and dad had set for us. The loading symbol appeared on the screen. I let out a deep breath, I was one step closer to finding my baby brother.

***********************

A few hours later I had finally finish looking over all the files. They where all mainly case files on the companies my parents had investigated in the past. They all had information on the outcome of the investigation. All except one, this particular file looked like it was only partially complete with basic information about the company but very little detail on the individual workers or board members unlike most of the other files. As the files were transfered by Alex from somewhere else it was impossible to tell when it was last accessed by my parents. Being uncomplete it was the only likely one to be the case they were working on before they died. If Alex suspected that our parents death was not accidental he would have gone searching for more information.