Complete Silence

Kendra, 19

I continued to drive as I occasionally glanced over at Trent just to make sure he was still here. A few minutes passed before I decided to speak up again.

"Trent?", I softly called out to him.

"What Kendra?" he looked at me annoyed.

"Are we gonna talk about what just happened or are we gonna pretend that it never happened?" I asked him in a snappy tone.

"We're gonna pretend it never happened 'cause I don't feel like talking about, so take me the fuck home please" he answered.

With no final words, I continued to drive in silence. I wanted to be mad at Trent for being so snappy and not opening up to me, but I just couldn't. I knew that this was a very touchy subject for him and I didn't want to make anything worse. Plus, I knew how much stress he was under from having to deal with me, going to school, and dealing with his family. He really had a lot on his plate for a nineteen year old.

After driving for a few more minutes, I pulled up to my house, putting the gear shift on park, and turning to Trent.

"You're gonna be okay driving home?" I sighed.

"Yes" he answered, not looking at me.

"Trent will you please just say something to me?" I pleaded.

"No, Kendra. Go in the house" he sighed sadly. I gathered my sweater and purse, opened the car door, and walked over to Trent's side. Trent got out of the car and looked at me with the sadest eyes I've ever seen. I pulled him into a tight hug and stayed that way for a few minutes before letting him go.

"I'm sorry Ken" Trent said to me. I nodded my head and made my way to my front door when Trent called out to me again.

"Baby?" he said loudly.

I turned around to face him.

"I love you" he told me.

"I love you too" I breathed heavily and turned back around to walk home.

What a long ass day.