Chapter 21

Once again, i'm faced with the task of finding something to do to keep me out of my room. Something to distract me for a while, to keep me occupied so i don't kill myself. 

Tim's got work stuff, Toby and Ben and Jeff are almost too much to deal with, especially when together, and i don't really know anyone well enough to talk to them. 

So maybe i'll just sit outside, in a different kind of silence. Outdoor silence, not indoor silence, which is a little better. 

I make it down to the second floor before pausing. 

I debate going and talking to Liu again. I mean, we seemed to get along okay a couple nights ago, maybe things would be okay again this time? He didn't seem to think i was the worst, but maybe he was just putting up with me?  

Would it be too much for me to knock? To ask if i can just hang out in there with him so maybe i wont feel so fucking suicidal?  

Yes, that is too much. If someone did that to me, i'd think they were fucking insane. Of course i wouldn't let them in, especially a person i barely know, that i've had two small conversations with. 

No, no, that's too much. It was stupid to think that was a good idea, stupid to- 

"Dude," I jump, heart suddenly kicking up into my throat. It only calms a little bit when i notice it's Ben peeking out of what i assume is his room. "You've been pacing the hall for twenty minutes. Either like,, come in here or go back to your own floor before Jeff gets pissed." 

Oh. I just stand and debate for a while, until he opens his door a bit further, and i decide the worst that can happen is death. And i mean, it's kind of what i wanted. I know a little bit about Ben, i've talked to him once before, so this should be fine. 

I hesitantly follow him into the cluttered, low lit room, making sure not to step on anything. There's a lot of stuff, a lot of posters too. It's obvious he's been here a long time. A lot longer than i have. 

He makes himself comfy in a desk chair in front of a computer monitor, and i awkwardly sit on the edge of his bed. 

"What were you pacing for?" I fiddle with my fingers, looking around a bit. 

"Was debating on knocking on Liu's door." He hums. 

"He wouldn't let you in anyway." He spins around a bit, back and forth. "Wait, you've met Liu?" I nod, fiddling a bit more. 

"Mmhm. I've talked to him twice." 

"Really?? I didn't even see him until i was here almost a year. And you've already talked to him?" I nod, giving another hum. "Jesus, and i didn't take you for the social type." 

"I'm not." I don't explain further than that, and things go quiet. 

He suddenly hums, like he remembered something. "You've been here a month, right?" I nod, and he seems to think something over. 

"Hmm. Okay." He gets up out of his desk chair, making his way over to me, and i freeze, expecting the worst. 

But instead, he kneels just in front of the bed, digging underneath for a second before pulling out a box of cell phones. He eventually digs out a blue one, offering it out to me. I go to grab it, but before i can, he retracts it, keeping it out of my reach. 

"Anyone asks, i didn't give this to you, go it?" 

"Mmhm." He finally hands it over, and i turn it on to see it's completely blank. Almost like it's new, or like it was factory reset or something? I'm not sure, it's been a while since i've had a phone. We're nearing a year, actually.  

He kind of watches over me while i set things up, and once i finish, he stands again. 

He pauses at the door. "You wanna go on a walk or something?" In the cold? In the freezing cold? While it's like, lightly snowing? In the middle of winter? 

"Mmm yeah, sure." Might as well freeze to death. 

"Alright, c'mon." He motions for me to follow, and i skitter up to his side like a chihuahua to a movie star. 

Haha nice analogy. 

It is indeed freezing outside, almost too cold for my thin jacket to handle, but i power through it. He seems completely fine, even in a tshirt and pajama pants. No goosebumps or anything, completely fine. Out of breath from walking maybe, but not cold at all?? 

What the fuck??

I know he isn't quite human, but he seemed very human-ish? So i think i assumed he just followed with normal human rules, like temperature and junk. But apparently not.