Chapter One

It was time, I knew it as I laid silently staring up at the straw roof that had been giving me protection from the pressing elements. King Edward had called for Uhtreds's help once more, and like always he obliged.

 It meant that they were leaving, unsure of when they would return. It meant that I wasn't invited, a notion that Uhtred often gave me when he would leave.

 He would tell me to stay, that I was in charge, but more frequently he would tell me that he needed me to take care of the King's true heir Athelstan. I hated it, I was skilled with a sword, Uhtred himself, and Finan, and Sihtric made sure of it. Each one took turns training me, day and night. But yet I never made the cut when it came to them leaving, and I couldn't figure out why.

A soft knock on the oak wood door had me crawling over the sleeping body of Athelstan. He had found his way to my bed after a night of terrors. Careful not to disturb him as I got off the bed, I made my way to the door. As I pulled the handle, the face that I would miss the most, rested just behind it.

         "You're awake, I was thinking that I would have to sneak in on you."

A cheeky grin grew on his face as the words left his lips.

           "And what would have happened in that case?" I remarked. 

I wanted to berate myself for saying such nonsense to him. I could feel heat rush to my face, lighting my cheeks aglow.

           "Well, it depends.."

A wink, before he indicated that he wanted to be let inside. In talking to him I had forgotten that I was allowing him to stand out in the winter's snow. Even though he wore his furs, the crisp air would still be able to nip at him. I moved aside and all but pulled him inside, shutting the door quickly.

         "What does it depend on?"

I wasn't sure what I wanted him to say, so I figured I wouldn't give him the chance to respond.

           "Are you leaving soon?"

His brow raised, I only assumed that It was due to my sudden change in interests. As his gaze lingered on me, it became apparent that I wore nothing more than a sleeping gown and the winter air had taken to me. I looked around for anything to cover myself, but came up short and resulted in throwing my arms around my chest. His gaze followed my every movement, studying it and taking notes.

               "Sihtric?"

I watched carefully as he took his time to finally meet my gaze. His expression was unclear, and I couldn't help but shift uncomfortably at his gaze as I waited for him to respond.

            "Uhtred wants to leave soon, so they are preparing the horses, and then we are off."

He pauses and scans the room, his eyes finally landing on Athelstan lying tucked comfortably under blankets and furs. His gaze fell back to me as he spoke,

           "Uhtred wanted me to make sure you understood what he needs from you."

What he needs from me! Uhtred did not own me, nor did he have the right to treat me as such. It was obvious that Sihtric could see the fumes of anger radiating off of me, because his hand fell to grip the hilt of his sword, something he often did when he needed some type of reassurance or comfort. It made me laugh inside at the gesture. Is he scared of me? I couldn't help the smile that began to form on my face, as he bit down on his lip. His gaze drifted over me once more.

          "Do you agree with him? With Uhtred?" I asked. His gaze fixated on mine, uncertainty in his eyes.

             "What.. What do you mean?" he asked.