Chapter 40

a/n this feels like a milestone to have crossed. I'm finally at chapter 40. I hope you guys enjoyed it so far.

HUNTER'S POV

I went to the hospital as usual, the receptionist smiled sadly at me and murmured that it wasn't looking too good for her. I was led to the room, and sat down by the bed.

"there's a heatwave going on. it's September. I've been listening to heatwaves by glass animals on repeat. it's kind on poetic, 'you just need a better life than this/you need something I can never give'. I love it, especially when the rain comes. I sit during summer storms in our bedroom." 

"I really miss you. we all do"

"I love you"

three different fragments of conversation, all said within minutes of each other. 

I would have usually left, but this time I stayed. 

I took her cold hand off of the bed, resting it in mine.

"I never got to tell you. I love you. and I care. I always cared for you."

I brushed hair from her broken face, little cracks almost appearing and her face muffled by my tears.

"I loved you since I called you a dwarf in the forest, and you called me a giant. I knew I liked you watching all your streams and videos, never missing an upload. I loved you as we kissed in Olivia and Oliver's living room. loved you as we made out in their guest bedroom. when we went on the picnic. then I fucked up. I-I screwed with you feelings, forgetting that you would get hurt as well. you're a goddess. you're a motherfucking goddess, Rae, and I will love you until the day we both crumble to dust. don't you dare give up on me."

I felt her hand warming up. must be from mine, I thought.

"I love you, and I will fight for you until the day I die, Rachel. I love you."

a warmth enveloped me, and I almost feel a hand brushing my cheek, and a whisper rings out in my brain. "be free"

be free

be free

be...

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

 a flatline. nurses rush in to get Rae breathing again, and I sit there in horror, unable to process what I just experienced. I'm ushered out, the receptionist lets me use up all the tissues as I cry all my tears, then lets me call Chase to pick me up. the second I climb into the car, I collapse into his arms.

we stay like that for a long time, him stroking my hair and me sobbing desperately on his shoulder.