xiii. karl; itinerant

— forced to travel in different periods at random, Karl by accident picks up a stray that he for some reason can't seem to let go of

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

HE'D gotten used to the random spouts of time travel from here and there. But what he hasn't gotten used to were when he'd find himself a hundred years in the past in nothing but his birthday suit.

Those were the times where he'd be most inconvenienced and would curse out his curse that the gods so called "gifted" him with after spouting more nonsense to him about him being the so-called Chosen One: The only person worthy of possessing such power.

But in all honesty, Karl had gotten sick of it all. The ability to time travel would've been a whole lot cooler if he could control the power but he can't and won't ever be able to.

This leads to where he is now. Stuck in...

Karl looked down at his plain brown wristwatch that too possessed a special type of magic that the gods had enchanted it with. The purple glowing numbers let him know that he was currently twenty years in the future from the main time period.

There was always a specific time he'd be sent to to fix any mistakes that have happened in that timeline. He was never in one place forever, a fact he'd grown accustomed to after years of trying to settle down for once.

The concept of there being a singular timeline doesn't exist. The universe isn't a singular being, there is a multitude of different realities from his own that range in a variety of differences.

And each time he's sent to a different timeline that means he's there to correct an abrupt change from what's fated to occur.

If he fails to do so, then that timeline will shatter and cease to exist.

Now Karl will admit, the job was awesome at first and sounds even cooler on paper.

But in truth, it's got to be one of the most stressful jobs to ever be given to someone. The weight of everyone's lives rests on his shoulders enough to give him countless sleepless nights. The threat of failure will every so often reduce him to a state of hysteria where he can't catch his breath properly or think anything coherent.

He'd learn to control that after the first thousands of years. He couldn't spare being so out of touch with his emotions so he had trained himself to always remain neutral no matter the scenario he was put in.

All of that, would expectedly, render him the most lonely guy in existence. It's not that he can't form relationships or that he's socially awkward. He wishes that were the case. It's that every relationship he's ever made ceases to exist the moment he leaves their timeline.