Untitled Part 24

Chapter Twenty Four

Josh and I found a quaint tea room that stayed open late and had our cuppa. Then, arm in arm, we strolled a bit before I called Alex to pick us up. When we reached the safehouse, I expected everyone to be in bed, but Josh and I walked right into the middle of a heated argument.

"It's not a real tour; you guys know that!" said Jake heatedly.

"Yes, it is!" replied Sam. "Posters have been made, dates have been set, interviews are planned, and they're doing promos on the respective radio stations! Call it off? Are you nuts?"

Danny was sitting in a corner watching Jake and Sam argue as though it were some bizarre ping-pong match.

"What is going on?" I asked. Then, lowering my voice, "and will you please keep it down? We do have company to consider."

"The girls are in the soundproof room watching a movie; they can't hear us. Besides, they know we're talking band business," said Jake.

I sighed as Josh sat down. "So what's this all about? Jake, do you want to call off the tour? You know you can't do that."

Jake gave me the strangest look. He continued to stare at me for a full minute; then, he dropped his eyes. I walked to him and reached out, cupping his chin and bringing his eyes up to mine. "What caused this sudden change of heart?"

Jake pulled my hand away roughly. "Don't touch me," he hissed. To say I was surprised would be an understatement. I dropped my hand, swallowed my surprise, and put a cold tone in my voice.

"You're finishing the job. Your lives depend on it. My reputation depends on it. My rep helps keep me alive, so you're going to do this tour, and you're going to do it to the best of your ability, or I will...."

"Will what? Kill me? Hurt me? Go ahead, take your best shot!" Jake was enraged. The fire in his eyes told me that.

"We need to talk," I said, gesturing toward a bedroom.

"A fucking won't change my mind, neither will a blow-job!"

Jake stood there panting. I could see he was working hard to get himself under control. Then, at last, he took a deep breath and said, "All right, we'll finish the tour. But I'm sleeping alone tonight, maybe the rest of the tour, too. You can sleep with Josh, Fallon. He doesn't seem to care who he beds."

Josh rose slowly, and I could see him ball his fists. "That was a cheap shot, both at me and Fallon, Jake. Take it back."

I knew Jake wouldn't, and I saw the rage coming back. Yep, things were about to get FUBAR quickly unless I put a stop to it. So I put my hand in my bag and came out with Pearl.

"Calm down, guys," I said softly. It took a few minutes, and they were still mad, but there would be no fight, not tonight anyway.

Josh sat back down, and Jake turned his back to me and said, "Fine, we'll finish the fucking tour."

He walked to a bedroom, went in, and slammed the door. I looked at Sam. He met my eyes and said, "Before you ask, I have no idea what that was all about. He just came out of the bedroom and announced that he wanted to drop the rest of the tour."

"And he didn't say why?"

"He said it wasn't a 'real' tour, whatever that means, and I said, well, you came in just then, so you know what I said. But before you came back, he was stomping around, kind of throwing things, snapping at people, in a real black mood. So we were hoping you could tell us why he suddenly snapped."