Mrs. Parker

As luck would have it Lord and Lady Babbington managed to persuade Lady Denham to hold her immediate desire to pursue the debts accrued by the eldest Mr. Parker for longer than she originally allowed. 

Before the widow Eliza Campion was to wed Sidney Parker the couple endured another scandal. Several months into their rekindling, Mrs. Campion found herself to be the object of a Count on the brink of financial ruin. Owing to Mr. Parker's continued indifference to her, the lady preferred a poor man with a title to that of a poor man possessing none. So, once again she abandoned the gentleman and married another.

However, this time her twice rebuffed fiancé was not anguished at her hasty departure. Indeed following this lucky turn of events Mr. Sidney Parker wasted no time in rushing off to acquaint himself with Willingden and the Heywood family. The young couple were married some months later, much to the happiness of both their families. 

Insurance was procured during the engagement of the middle Parker brother and the work was able to be resumed and was nearing completion when Sidney learned of a new venture that proved most advantageous to him as well as his family. The town of Sanditon prospered, its rebuilding drew many prominent families wishing to avoid the crowds at Brighton for their holidays. While the venture was not yet as prosperous as hoped all signs pointed toward a very happy future.

A little more than a year later the happy couple were attending a ball at the behest of Lord and Lady Babbington whereupon they met with the new Countess. She welcomed the couple with the superior air of one who always felt themselves meant to be elevated.

"Sidney, how lovely to see you. Miss Hey - Mrs. Parker, as I understand it, you look rather well, still wearing your finest country fashion I see."

"Your Grace, a pleasure," replied the gentleman, he just managed to avoid gritting his teeth at her snub of his wife.

"You are both, of course, welcome to call upon me any time while you are in town. I do so hope we might be able to put the past behind us, Sidney."

"Perhaps, if there is time, however for the present I wish to dance with my wife. Please excuse us."

"Of course, enjoy the evening Mrs. Parker, Sidney."

Just as her husband took to guide her to the floor Charlotte turned back to address the lady. "Your Grace, if you truly wish to put the past behind, please be so kind as to not address my husband so informally, particularly in public." With these words, Mrs. Parker bowed, leaving the countess too stunned to reply.  The couple walked away, hoping it was the last time they would be forced to endure the lady. 

"I see all that time with Lady Susan has done you well, my dear Charlotte."

"I suppose it has my love," she replied, grinning brightly at her husband.