Chapter 31 - Self-Invitation

Y/N POV

". . . Dragon Rider. I'm not planning on giving you my body anytime soon," I gave a firm answer.

Emynth smiled. "Domineering as always. I expected nothing less, although I don't know how to feel. Just don't get too used to being on top, okay?" That last bit came with a wink.

I coughed awkwardly. "Wording."

She laughed. "It's so fun teasing you young ones. Hey, now that I think about it, you haven't gone much farther with Koneko, right? You're taking the slow and steady route, I like it. Slow burns are always so much more appealing to me."

I didn't like where this was going. "Can't you talk about something else? Like when we're going to start with the new plan?"

Finally, she relented. "If you say so."

Relieved, I leaned back in the chair.

"It'll take some time to reverse the effects of what we've done," Emynth started talking again. "First of all, I have to take back what's mine. And at the same time, I need to give back what I've taken. Of course, with how little you've given up, it shouldn't take too long, but reversing this entire thing will still be complicated."

"Take as long as you need. Just make sure I'm still combat ready in case I need to fight," I said. "Though I doubt you'd do anything to harm me."

Emynth laughed. "Start talking when you're actually worried. You know I wouldn't do that."

And without warning, she snapped and the scene before my eyes changed into my room.

She. . . she sent me back without warning! I hate when that happens. There's no time to prepare for that sucker punch feeling when you switch dimensions. I never mentioned it before because after the first time, I'm always prepared to make the switch, so it doesn't bother me.

Unless of course Emynth pulls something like this.

But she knows how much I hate it!

From a deep corner in my mind, I could hear the faint sound of laughter.

Tch.

Anyways, it was already morning, so I could only put it off until later.

There was an extra weight on me. I looked down. It seemed both Koneko and Tio snuck into my bed in the middle of the night, while I was with Emynth. I nudged Koneko and Tio awake and told them to get ready for school.

Neither would make a move without a forehead kiss, so I (un)reluctantly obliged.

Timeskip

And of course the Devils had another important thing.

"Let me get this straight: you're gonna be taking Koneko with you to some youth Devil aristocrat get-together? And you'll be gone for a couple of days?" I asked.

Rias rolled her eyes. "It's the Youth Devil Gathering. All the Devil clans' heirs will be there, and each of us are supposed to attend to show off our improvements."

"And you need Koneko because. . ?" I pressed on.

"Peerages are a part of our power," Rias said matter-of-factly.

Oh, right.

Koneko held my hand. "It's okay. Every year we've gone, it's just been like one big dinner party. Actually, to me it always seemed like the adults had more fun socializing with each other than us young Devils. And, besides, it's only a couple of days."

I didn't want to sound too possessive, but it just didn't sit right with me to be separated for that much time. I must've spent too much time having Koneko in the same room as me 90 percent of the time. She was quiet and didn't speak up much, opting to follow me closely like a shadow, and now I couldn't bear to part with my shadow.