Chapter 29 - Respite At Last

Y/N POV

I could do nothing but watch as the golden pillar of light consumed Vali. It continued on its trail across the school yard, only stopping a significant distance away from us. . . or more accurately, me.

When it stopped, the light trail it made faded away into little motes of light.

And from its abrupt end it revealed the figure of an young Asian man wearing armor reminiscent of China's Three Kingdoms period (as Emynth tells me). He held a staff in one hand and had the other wrapped around Vali.

I didn't bother with pleasantries and donned my armor in a flash.

The young man set down Vali carefully, letting Vali get to his feet, albeit wobbly.

Some distance away, Azazel did some explaining to the rest of the group. It was probably about the identity of this young man. As I had no time to listen, Emynth filled me in pretty quickly.

What I got was interesting.

"Spawn of the Great Sage, Equal of Heaven. I thought I saw some monkey business going on around here," I said calmly.

The young man laughed at my joke before introducing himself. "The name's Bikou. Grandson of Sun Wukong, but I guess you already know that, huh?"

I responded happily. "Of course! You're a chimp of the old block, hehe, get it?"

"Okay okay, I appreciate the primate puns but I must be serious," his tone changed. "I must bring Vali from this place."

I took a step towards them menacingly. "I'm sorry I can't let you do that. You see, I wasn't done paying him back for all the ruckus he caused. As the grandson of the one who nearly overthrew Chinese Heaven's order, you would understand, wouldn't you?"

Bikou took a step backward with Vali in response. "I understand but I simply cannot listen. The Giants of the North will not be subjugated easily and the Brigade needs Vali's help."

His grip on his staff tightened, something that could not escape my sight.

There was a very small chance I could contain the two of them here. While Hell Dome could trap anyone, that was on the basis that someone could escape my range within the very very short time it took for me to activate it.

And the staff in Bikou's hands was one of the few objects that could achieve a feat so spectacular.

On top of that, I wasn't sure if it was even the real deal, so I had no way of estimating the staff's strength. The best outcome would be that I could intimidate Bikou into leaving Vali behind, but the chances of that happening are zero.

With this outcome, it was useless to push further, but I could touch some sensitive nerves before they go.

So, I took some steps back and raised my hands. "Ok then, fine by me."

Everyone behind me was shouting at me with incredulous looks. 

"But before you go, I must say, I am very disappointed," I said with a sad shake of my head.

Bikou looked at me suspiciously. "What do you mean?"

I continued, "With your grandaddy being the Monkey King, I would've thought you would know not to deal with things greater than you. . . or did he not teach you? He really must not have wanted to tell you of the time spent under Buddha's mountain, very humiliating."

"What are you doing. . ?"

"And the entire time he spent confined by a golden hairband, unable to be free because he simply didn't listen. Tsk tsk. After the fiasco in Chinese Heaven, the Buddha really didn't want to take any chances and made sure to make it hard for your grandad, didn't he?"