Chapter 4 - Daughter of Nyt

Grayson led the Zane sisters deep into the bowels of the palace and then up a spiralling staircase that coiled around a glass box elevator. The walked through the cavernous top of the mountain that backed the Nyt fortress and into a hollowed-out arena.

The stone walls housed rows of seat and balconies; the thick slabs were carved out like the sides of the watchtowers Cassidy had seen on their drive up. Rectangular columns were evenly spaced out and the mortal's beloved Hindu gods and goddesses looked down at the arena with stony from their perches among the curved patterns. More statues lined the walls and on the far end, two mighty elephants were carved out of the wall, their trunks raised and crossing to form an archway under their raised, front legs.

The Nyt's were an old and diverse family. Their roots were deep in India but diversity could be seen across the spectrum of eager faces that looked down into the empty arena. Those with long enough hair all wore the Nyt's traditional top knot. Cassidy felt nervous sporting the same hairstyle in her plain, normal clothes. She wished Riley were with her, a reassuring hand to hold in the sea of sharp gold, russet and sepia brown eyes.

"The Lady and General of the fortress are above the elephants," Grayson pointed to a glorious balcony with two highbacked chairs where his parents sat. "The family's champion will enter through that gate."

"That's Riley, right?" asked Katherine, who was marvelling at the architecture around them.

"No," Grayson pressed his prominent lips together, "She is the outcast. A traitor, deserter or exiled is normally the outcast."

"She's technically all three, because of me," Cassidy whispered, suddenly feeling very small in the yawning arena. Katherine tensed next to her but said nothing. Cassidy had never blamed her sister for what had happened, she and Riley had willingly made their choices and she hoped it wasn't what was causing the unfamiliar awkwardness between her and her twin.

"Do not worry," Grayson led them to the far side of the arena, where a small balcony rested above a plain archway, "Riley will be fine."

Cassidy felt panic building in her chest as excitement sparked through the icy cold air. Above them, clouds billowed through the sky, blocking out the sky and casting the arena into eerie grey light.

"What if she isn't fine," Cassidy burst out, "She doesn't train like she used-"

Grayson laughed as they took their seats, "We used to train like maniacs anyways, our family expected brilliance on the battlefield, even if our greatest challenges were learning mathematics and writing our names."

Cassidy shuddered at the thought of the small Nyt children learning how to hold a weapon before a pencil.

"This is as natural to Riley as breathing. It is in her blood and in her muscle memory. She will be fine."

Cassidy nodded, "Okay, sure. Do you know who she's fighting?"

Grayson shook his head solemnly, "I have been away from too long to know who our current champion is," he hesitated but said nothing else.

"Why aren't we sitting with Lady Olympia and General Atticus? Surely Riley's parents are supporting her?" Katherine glared defiantly as people began to notice them sitting above the outcast's archway.

"No," Grayson looked grim, "They must support the family's champion. Loyalty is to the family as a whole, not any singular individual."

Cassidy felt sick, "Even if they're your child?"

"Even then."

"I hate this."

Grayson smiled sympathetically and took her hand, "Me too. Riley and Ava would sneak in here and train together. They'd take turns pretending to be one of our family's finest and duel. It was quite annoying."