Say Cheese!

Smile

verb (used without object), smiled, smil·ing.

to assume a facial expression indicating pleasure, favor, or amusement, but sometimes derision or scorn, characterized by an upturning of the corners of the mouth

~~*~~

     "-and that's when I beat the shark with only my pinky finger and a banana peel. It-" The old man shoved the shoulder of the girl next to him. She gave a shout of surprise and flailed for a second before regaining her balance. "Are you even listening kid?" The girl rubbed at her eyes and gave him a tired smile. Her mint-green hair was sticking out in random places.

     "Yeah. Sorry..." She sat back down on the couch, her body language forcing itself to be smaller. "I was out really late last night."

     "Oh?" The old man raised his brows and gave her a look. "Tajima-san! I didn't mean like- I was- It-" The girl stopped herself as Tajima started laughing. It was deep and loud and so, so comforting. "Calm down Machi-Shounen. I only expect the best from you. Plus, you texted me about the meetup last week." He pulled out his phone and showed Machi the text.

Hanako Machi

Hey! Just wanted to check in

Tajima Mitsue

Fine as I can be

How are you?

Hanako Machi

Good. I got a lot of work to do before...

Tajima Mitsue

I see. I could help you if you want

Hanko Machi

Thank you! But I'm actually meeting someone who said they could help.

My dad found enough money to get me a trainer

Tajima Mitsue

Ok. Don't be a stranger. I still have a lot of wisdom to share

     Hanako let go of the breath she was holding. She looked up to Tajima and gave a small laugh. "Sorry. Your opinion just means a lot to me and I would hate it if you saw me as irresponsible." Tajima waved the comment off with his hand. It was bandaged up and what Hanako could see of it was wrinkled and scarred.

     "Hey, what happened to your hand?" Hanako could almost feel the smirk on his face. Tajima leaned closer to Hanako. "You know about the Bread Bandit?"

     "The person who's been stealing all the muffins from the cafe? What about them?" Tajima leaned forward and struck a heroic pose. "I caught her!"

     "You did?!" Hanako's eyes sparkled a bit as she watched Tajima grinning from ear to ear. "How?"

     "I thought it was quite suspicious that the muffins would always disappear when Hirai's family would visit." The old man scratched his chin. "I, maybe... Probably... Shouldn't have chased after the kid like I did. But I figured it out! Hirai's grandaughter has a camouflage quirk that she used to steal the muffins."