Keep Holding My Hand

The group spent the rest of the day shopping for Jeffrey. Hanako had invited them over to her house to help set up her room for the nightjay. Kouda had to leave, but everyone else came over to help out. They had cleared a corner of the room out, which was now sitting out in the hall. Tokoyami and Hagakure were figuring out how to set up the cage while Mina and Hanako set up different perches around the room.

      The door downstairs opened and closed. The sound of grocery bags hitting against each other filled Hanako's ears. "Hanako! I'm home." The sound of bags moving stopped. "Hanako? Do you have friends over?"

      "Oh boy..." Hanako stepped out into the hall, leaning over her beanbag chair that had been moved. "Yeah! I have some friends over and... You remember that bird from last night?" The grocery bags were dropped and Hanako could feel Benjiro running up the stairs. He got to the top, looking at all the items in the hall before locking eyes with Hanako. "Hanako... Please tell me you're spring cleaning..."

     Mina stepped out and waved. "Hi, Mr. Machi!" Benjiro dumbly waved back before stepping over to Hanako and whispering into her ear. "Did you say you had four people over?" Hanako nodded, watching as her dad's expression softened and a smile overtook his demeanor. "Then I guess I can't be too angry. You haven't had friends in a long time." Hanako placed a finger to her lips and shook her head feverishly. "Oh! Uh, right. I'll just... I'm going to make dinner now."

      Hanako sighed, body relaxing into the beanbag. Mina poked her forehead and shook a finger. "C'mon Machi-san! No slacking off here." Mina had a playful smile on her face as she dragged Hanako back to her room.

      Hagakure had grabbed her phone and changed the music for the third time and Tokoyami was not having it. He snatched the phone away and searched for a minute before a new playlist started playing. Mina stopped screwing with the perch knob and looked over to Tokoyami. "Is– Is this My Chemical Romance?"

      "And? What about it?"

      "Nothing! It suits you."

      "If you don't like it then change it." Hagakure went to grab the phone and everyone shouted a 'Not you Hagakure.'

     In the end, the room looked decent. Hanako's room in general was colorful. Lots of different painted walls and paintings and pictures (most of which looked to be made from different people; kids). The cage wasn't too big and the perches didn't hinder any movement or space. Hanako had already filled the food and water dishes and Kouda had set up the different toys inside the cage. Now all they needed was Jeffrey. "Wait, where is he?" Mina asked, looking inside the empty travel crate. "No way..." Hanako dragged a hand over her face. "How could he have possibly–"

     Hanako was cut off by Mina poking her arm and pointing down the hall. Hanako followed her gaze and let out a breathy chuckle as, further down the hall, Tokoyami talked to Jeffrey. He had let Dark Shadow come out to say hello as well.

      "Well then... Guess we shouldn't disturb them." Hanako looked at the time. "It's getting pretty late. You guys should probably head home and get a good night's rest."