Chapter 30 - The end.

I awoke to someone gently shaking me. I groaned and rolled over, the pain kicking back in. But when I inhaled that vanilla scent again, I was more awake than ever. My eyes shot open to see Ruel standing next to a police officer and my nurse sitting beside me. I was confused, but knew the police officer probably had something to say, so I refrained from asking any questions.

"Hi Brianna. You must be quite confused right now, so we are here to explain everything to you. Or maybe Mr Van Dijk would like to do it?" he nodded towards Ruel with a smile. I watched as Ruel smiled gently back and gave a nod. "Great, well I will be on my way then. I need to find where Maddie ended up," he gave a final wave and left.

I watched as the police officer exited the room quickly, followed by my nurse giving me an obvious wink, then trailed my eyes back to Ruel's. The familiar feeling of water washed over me. I would never get sick of drowning in his endlessly green eyes. 

"Well, hello I suppose," he smiled genuinely. 

"Oh shut up you always manage to make things hella awkward. Come on I'm dying to know how you got away from them," I begged as he walked over to sit on the chair next to my bed. 

"Well, while you were playing with the door handle, I knew Maddie was going to say some dodgy shit, so I decided to take an audio as proof against her," he explained simply. Shit. He was smart. I would've never thought to do that. "I told you it would be okay." He reached to grab my hand, and I let him, smiling wide as he squeezed my hand gently. 

"What happened to Maddie?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"Well I assume she'll be going to jail for attempted murder, but I don't really know," he shrugged. 

We sat in a comfortable silence for a little while, just happy to be near each other. I was for sure happy to be near him and to have his hand in mine. 

"Come sit," I said, patting the bed next to me and shuffling over. He moved onto the bed, careful not to touch me in any way apart from my hand. When he sat, I connected our lips quickly, taking him by surprise. I pulled away, earning a grumpy face from Ruel. 

"That was mean," he pouted playfully. I giggled, and then returned to a neutral face. 

A question popped into my head, that I was nervous to ask, but I knew I had to ask. I needed to know the answer to this.

"Ruel?" I questioned plainly.

"Yes?" he replied, in the same tone I had asked in.

"What is...this?" I asked, motioning to both of us. He looked unfazed by this question, just spaced out in thought. I watched as his face creased, looking for an answer in his head.

"To be truthful, I don't know. I've never done a relationship like this one before," he replied thoughtfully. He had never been in a relationship like this before? I suppose I hadn't had one like this either, apart from Tyler. And he was nowhere near as respectful as Ruel was. "What do you want it to be?" he asked, dropping his head to face mine.

I didn't know, but I was happy with what we had now. I didn't care about the label. All I knew was that I was madly in love with him, and I liked that I could share that with him through affection.

"I guess I don't really care what we label it. I just like to be with you," I smiled back to him. 

"I think if we don't label it as dating, Coco will kill us," he smiled back.

"Oh shut up you just want to be labelled as my boyfriend," I rolled my eyes sarcastically.

"Maybe I do," he said cheekily, connecting our lips again. I felt so happy I thought I would burst. This had to be a dream. It was utterly ethereal, he was utterly ethereal. I was ecstatic that he came back, so I could share the moments I had missed out on now. I guess I can say that if this was a dream, I hope I was in a coma. I smiled against his lips, pulling gently away. I watched as a smirk made its way onto his face and I gave him a look of confusion. It was weird. It was like he had just thought of something dirty and he was a 12 year old boy. "You know when you dmed me like 7 months ago?"

I have to admit, that is definitely not what I expected him to say. I squinted my eyes shut and groaned. 

"Please don't remind me that I did that," I groaned, covering my face with my hands.

"Too late," he laughed, peeling my hand off of my eyes. "That was bold of you."

"It was a dare idiot, and I obviously wasn't expecting you to see it," I nearly just slapped him.

"I thought it was cute!"

"Shut up, no the fuck you did not."

"Hey, but if I hadn't seen it we might not be here right now."

--

I knew my recovery would be long. My physio said it might be around 8-9 months of physical therapy before I'm back to normal again. But I knew with Ruel there next to me, it would be a little less painful and boring. I was happy to call him mine. 

The end.

A/N

This ending was very abrupt. I'm sorry about that, but I wanted to get this book over and done with before it got dragged out too long, because i am aware it's already very very long. But yeah the ending was a bit weird. 

I sincerely hope you enjoyed this book, no matter how all over the place it was. I thank you all so so much for reading the whole thing. 

I am writing another book at the moment, but I will be publishing it all together, so it might be a little while. It is called 'Two Ghosts' and I can promise it will be a little less all over the place than this one. And it will be shorter for sure. It's a little different, but I'm really excited to see what you guys will think of it!

As always have a lovely day,

remember to nourish yourself with food and water

and do something that makes you happy!

- Bri <3

Quote of the day:

At first they'll ask you why you're doing it. Later, they'll ask you how you did it.

- Natalie Setareh