04 Search Team

Riftan yanked on Talon's reins to catch up to her. The woman was gripping the reins to the point that her knuckles turned white. After walking quietly, they finally met the other two knights on the half-way point to the camp.

Twilight was strewn across the sky in pink and purple, and they were soon engulfed by an ocean of darkness.

Sitting in front of the bonfire, the laughter of the knights echoed in the air. A knight was telling a story how he flirted with all the ladies of Drakium Palace, including Princess Agnes. The knights booed him as they couldn't believe the man could seduce the noble ladies with such an undesirable appearance. Riftan stifled his laugh. At the heated topic, he began to wonder if he stood a chance of courting Maximilian. Would she be willing to dance with him if he was born as a nobleman?

The scene of her reaching the top of his head just to remove the small sized leaf continued to play in his mind. When he recalled how her face flushed red like a strawberry, a heat slowly rose in his body. A slight touch from her was enough to have him floating on cloud nine.

The loud noises of his men gradually faded from his ears as a thousand thoughts and emotions jumbled up in his head. Riftan unconsciously brought his eyes to Maximilian. As the bonfire lit up the camp, her red hair glowed like a spark of flames. Perhaps sensing a gaze drilling into her back, her head snapped back to his direction. She was neither smiling nor frowning. After holding her gaze with him for a few moments, she turned her head back to her friends.

Looking back on how her presence had affected him over the last few days, he felt a prick of disappointment creeping into his heart. They would be separated starting tomorrow, and he would never see her again. But, hadn't he been doing just fine without seeing her for the past five years? So, why did he feel disappointed like a man who suffered from unrequited love?

"The princess is not someone you'd want to flirt with. You'd never get Her Royal Highness to fall for a womanizer."

Hebaron clicked his tongue at Uslin's serious tone. "Could you refrain from becoming a grumpy cat anytime her name was mentioned? Who the hell could court the princess without getting a side eye from the king anyway?"

"There is one..."

The knights' gaze was drawn to their commander. Riftan, noticing the strange attention, questioned brusquely, "What the fuck are you looking at?"

The knights exchanged glances before withdrawing their eyes.

"You are mistaken," Hebaron said with a meaningful smile as he turned to face Uslin.

Like a cat and dog, the two knights began growling at one other. Hebaron would be the first to cut off Uslin's words every single time, and Uslin would do the same to him. Riftan was growing bored of their war of words, so he finished his dinner and rose up, giving Maximilian one more glance before heading to his tent.

*****

Thick morning fog gradually dissipated as the day grew brighter. The temperature was significantly cooler as they neared the mountain, despite the sun shining brightly on the beautiful sky. Luckily, they had not encountered any monsters; otherwise, they would have been even more late and behind schedule than they already were.

That, however, did not lessen the heaviness in his heart. Looking at his men's grim expression, they appeared to be feeling the same way.