chapter 6

"Stop pushing people away."

━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━

Ananya's POV

I walked up to my house front porch with a light heart and my heavy luggage, and noticed someone's car in the driveway. Probably some guests came over for dinner. I guess the talk with my family might have to be put on a hold.

"Surprise!" Sameeha jumped forward right when I peeked into the living room.

"Oh my gosh, what are you doing here? You could have called me!"

"You left without even telling me. I just came by to... see you."

Look at her being all clingy. How did she even live one year away from me?

"Anu, you're back! Go freshen up, the dinner will be ready in a while," my mother's voice rang from the kitchen.

Judging from her tone, I think she is happy? What the hell happened here while I was absent? Did my mother finally gave up on me? Right when I wanted to give in to her requests?

Why does everything happen in reverse in my life?

It seems like God really wants me to make the efforts this time. Nothing is ever easy. Saying yes seems like going to be much harder work than saying no.

As for now, I should be a good girl and abide by my mother's rules. The bag that I left by the door moments ago has disappeared. Probably was taken by one of our houseworkers instructed by my mother. I could have done the work by myself. My mother will do this, then call me spoilt.

I need to get out these sweaty clothes first and change into my home clothes.

Shower. Dinner. Talk with Ma.

Of course, I got Sameeha to tag along with me as I left for my room upstairs.

Sameeha was never that close with my family. In my mother's words, she's is a little too wild for me. She might not be entirely wrong. When I was seventeen, I sneaked out of the house past midnight multiple times. Unknowingly to anyone, of course. Except for that one time, I got caught, causing my reputation at home to plummet.

In my opinion, in life, we need a fair amount of both calm and chaos. Mine comes in the form of Jo and Sameeha. The third one, Priya is more of a seasonal prankster. You never know when she's going to do what.

Sameeha would have lost her mind in my mother's presence before I arrived. I made a signal for her to follow me, and sure enough, she followed me.

"I didn't know you changed your car. Isn't that an Audi?"

"Yep, he bought it for me."

I stopped climbing the stairs and turned around. Her previously smiling face turned annoyed seeing my mischievous smile. "Your whipped husband bought you a new car, huh?"

"It's not like that, and can you please stop calling him that? You guys have been doing it ever since the engagement!"

We continued going up the stairs. "What can I say? The name really stuck. I don't know what else to call him."

"He has a name," she said pointedly once we reached the second floor.

"I know! Your new baby daddy." I looked around to see if anyone's around first. There could be an eavesdropping spy at any corner of this house.

"New? You say that as if I had multiple before him."

I entered my room, with Sameeha following right behind me. Once she shut the door, I narrowed my eyes at her so she would spill the truth by herself.