The Pink Palace

"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
― Neil Gaiman, Coraline 

——————————————————

A work desk was covered in cobwebs and pins. Then, a large sort of hand made from needles swept them off and placed two stuffed dolls down. It immediately got to work by tearing off the dolls' clothes, and then extracting their stuffing. It spun a wheel which looked like and might have just been, not touched in decades. Cobwebs flew off it as it spun. The machine then sewed a yellow and red raincoat to accessorise the dolls, along with a few other items. Then, it grabbed some blue and h/c yarn and stitched it on the dolls' heads. Now all that was left, were the eyes. The button eyes. It opened a large draw full of every shade or coloured buttons. Pink, vermillion even emerald. Any colour you could think of, it had it. It grabbed a pair of brown and e/c buttons and stitched it onto the dolls' faces. Now all that was left was to dress them up. It grabbed the dolls, and opened the window, sending them off into the night awaiting the two girls it hoped to prey on.

~~~~~~~~~~

The humming of a car engine could be heard amidst the ruckus of the birds. It was a cold Saturday morning and the sun was drifted away behind the grey clouds. Faint music crept from the nearly 80 year old speakers of the almost broken car. A pair of e/c eyes could be seen half lidded staring out the window seemingly focusing on nothing. "We're here!" A mans raspy voice announces as he parks the car in front of a pink apartment complex. It didn't seem like much, but to him and his family, it was home for a while. Car doors were slammed shut as everyone got up to stretch after the long drive. The family then scuttled up to the front door, and unlocked it to peek inside what would be their new home.

~~~~~~~~~~

Days had passed and Coraline and y/n desperately tried to gain their parents attention, but failed awfully at it. Then something caught y/n's eye. A doll. Two dolls. Their lifeless button eyes staring deeply into her soul. But something seemed off. Very off. They looked exactly like her and  Coraline. She nudged Coraline with her elbow and tilted her head towards them with a suspicious look on her face. They took them and went upstairs.

The two girls were astonished. Who could've sent these and how did they get their every features right down to the tiniest fibre? "You know," y/n heard Coraline say from across their shared bedroom. "Mom and dad have been ignoring us for the past few days now, and I'm getting quite bored." "Let's go explore then." Y/n said with a little bit of question in her tone while eyeing Coraline with a questioning look. "Sure, let me grab our raincoats and boots!" Coraline then exclaimed with a grin, then rushed downstairs and out of their room.