Chapter 7 : Seranades And Sweethearts

In the evening, at the comfortable and modern apartment home of Travis Adamski. Travis was washing the dishes from having dinner earlier.

He was meticulous and liked to have order in everything he did, so as soon as dinner was over he decided to clear up while Merrick had a bath. He also planned that when Merrick got out he may try to raise the delicate subject, again, of Merrick's moving on.

Travis had carved out a successful life in Montreal and lived very comfortably on his job as a realtor of upmarket property and plots. He learned very quickly the expectations that the higher-end clientele in Montreal demanded. Firstly, that he spoke French, and secondly that he spoke English clearly and concisely. So, he put on a pleasant Trans-Atlantic accent for all the guests who viewed the property on their books as they would be repulsed by his southern drawl and the use of slang. However, over time, he acclimatised to that way of speaking, and he didn't want to be caught speaking any other way as he would be hugely embarrassed if people heard him speak like his brothers.

Travis was in looks, much like his brothers. Very tall and blond with an athletic build and striking, large blue eyes and prominent cheekbones. He kept himself immaculately turned out in the suits he wore and had short undercut hair that was neatly side parted.

While the coffee percolated and he dried the dishes, Travis suddenly heard loud music from the living room. He walked in to see Merrick watching a foreign cartoon that had been dubbed into French, but Merrick was talking over the dubbing with the original American intro soundtrack.

Travis sighed as he walked to the sofa where Merrick was sitting with a towel wrapped around his waist, as he towel-dried his medium length bright blond hair. Travis wanted to gently hint that it was time for Merrick and Dutch to settle their differences and make up, also so that Merrick would go back to Dutch's caravan.

"Hmm... Merrick, that's quite loud." Travis said.

Merrick was glued to the screen, reciting over the French dubbing, "Five of the finest cadets in the world, dedicated to the service of mankind, wherever he may be in distress...!" Merrick recited.

"Erm, the neighbours appreciate peace in the evenings...around here..." Travis said.

Merrick ignored him as he stared at the television set, "Combined with a dazzling array of vehicles and equipment designed to specifications in the space-age technology of the 21st century!" He continued.

"Merrick, we need to talk..." Travis sighed.

Merrick held up his hand in front of Travis' face in a halting fashion without even taking his eyes off the television, "A special rescue squad! ready to answer a last-chance distress call! A call that could arrive at any time from any disaster scene on or off this planet...! These, are, the..."

Merrick was cut off by the television going blank to a thin white line that then vanished. He turned around to see Travis holding the plug, "Hey!" He exclaimed.

"Television, costs money! Hot water, costs money! Electricity costs money and food costs money!" Travis said.

"Yeah? Well, I don't care about money!" Merrick said.

"Yeah, and that's the problem." Travis said as he walked back and sat next to Merrick, "Are you going to go back on your road trip with Dutch?"

"No! Why?" Merrick responded.

"Because if you're going to stay here I need to know for how long, and you're going to have to pay me some keep." Travis said.

"Yeah sure, but... hey! Talk normal Trav! Why are ya soundin' all pretentious?" Merrick said?