A Dance for Two

Luella watched as everything was put into place for the ball tonight. Decorations were being set, maids scrambled about making everything spotless, the orchestra was already at the palace setting up their stands and instruments. It was quite busy.

The king wanted her to wear a red dress to the ball to signify her first bloodshed and steps into war, it made her incredibly uncomfortable but she didn't argue the monarch.

The princess looked over the balcony of the second floor with her head in her hands, she wore a somber and uninterested expression. Her eyes would lazily follow the movements of the scurrying people down below then switch to someone else and follow that person for a few seconds. The heavy red material that was draped over the balcony entrance was pulled aside by a gloved hand, Oliver silently walked next to the princess, she could feel the man's presence but decided to say nothing as they both looked over the progress of the ballroom.

"You should probably start to get yourself fixed up, your father wouldn't like to you to still be in your day gown when the ball begins in just a few hours." Oliver said, Luella just sighed.

"I guess you're right."

"Would you like me to call a maid for you, your highness." He asked

"No," Luella said. "And why do you still call me 'your highness' at times?"

Oliver shrugs.

"I'm not sure, I like the way it sounds I assume, unless you don't want me to call you that." He said.

"No, I don't mind I was just wondering." She said as she left the balcony to change into her scarlet evening gown.

The dress was beautiful, she couldn't deny it but she could still feel the meaning behind it clinging to her heart and ripping off pieces little by little, she was sure by the end of the night bits and pieces of her heart would be scattered around the ballroom, the thought of her teared pieces dispersing as she danced made her upset. Those belonged to her but her father insists she wears like dreadful dress with beauty as its disguise.

Even with the heavy feeling it brought along with it she couldn't help but admire the silk ripples and ribbons that were lined up horizontally at its bottom, she liked to run her hands over the golden pattern on her sleeves and bodice and she liked the white ruffles that peeked from the cuffs. It had a big red bow on the side of her hip where she hid her dagger in. It was odd, the weapon she used to kill the woman was one of the things that made her feel safe and secured. Her braided hair twisted into a bun decorated with roses matched nicely with the melancholy of the dress.

Luella walked down the steps to hear festive noises from the ballroom begin to rise,

"Already?" She thought. Sure enough there were subjects filling the space talking and swaying. It was hypocrisy for the princess to judge the crowd so harshly in her head for just enjoying the ball, especially when she was going to do the same once Phillip arrives but her gloomy state caused her not to care and she continued to bearate the guests silently.

"You look stunning." Luella could hear the voice of her guard over the jovial commotion.

"Thank you." She said tucking a stray hair behind her ear.

"Your father is looking for you, he's at his throne." Oliver said.

"Okay." Luella wasn't ready to be presented in front of a crowd of people but she didn't have a choice, she began shuffling her feet to get her destination but Oliver stopped her for a second and gave her supporting hug before she went on display. The comforting space made it harder to hold in the tears she already was having trouble hold back but she somehow managed anyway.