F f

# - Fracture

Factor V Leiden
Inherited blood clotting disorder resulting in thrombophilia, which can increase tendency to form abnormal blood clots that can block blood vessels.

Fecal Calprotein
Biochemical measurement of the protein calprotein in the stool. Elevated fecal calprotein indicated the migration of neutrophils in the intestinal mucosa, which occurs during intestinal inflammation, incl. inflammation caused by inflammatory bowel disease.

Felodipine
Calcium channel blockers ☞ relaxes blood vessels to ↓ BP, stabilising voltage gated L-type calcium channels in their inactive confirmation. By inhibiting the influx of calcium in smooth muscle cells, felodipine prevents calcium-dependent myocyte contraction and vasoconstriction.

Ferritin
          Blood protein containing iron, test helps understand how much iron the body is storing. Low ferritin = iron deficiency.

FESS - Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
Most common surgical methods to treat chronic sinus infections. Magnifying endoscope used to see & remove affected tissue and bone.

Fentanyl Patch 
Opioid analgesic. Takes a good 20 hours to kick in.

Fexofenadine
Antihistamine for allergy sx incl. hay fever and hives

Fibromyalgia
Name given to a group of symptoms marked by generalised pain & muscle stiffness. Can be felt in all different areas of the body. Extreme fatigue & sleep problems are also common.

Flecainide
Anti-arrhythmias ☞ For reducing HR

Flexible Sigmoidoscopy (Flexi Sig)
An exam used to evaluate the lower part of the large intestine (colon). It is a thin, flexible tube (sigmoidoscopy) that is inserted into the rectum, with a camera on the end allowing the doctor to see inside the rectum, sigmoid colon, and most of the descending colon (last 2 feet[50cm]) of the large intestine. Biopsies may also be taken.

Fludricortisone
Treats Addison's disease & syndromes where there is excessive amounts of sodium lost in the urine.

Flutiform
          Steroid ☞ inhaler for asthma

FNC - Full Nursing Cares

FND - Functional Neurological Disorder
A problem with the nervous system & how the brain and body sends/receives signals, rather than a structural disease process such as MS or MVA.

Foley Catheter
          Normal urinary catheter.

Foley Gastric Catheter NGT

Foraminal Disc Bulge/Disk Protrusion
When a disk is strained beyond its limit, it can bulge or rupture

Foromin
          A hole in a bone that is meant to be there.

Functional Asplenia
Occurs when the splenic tissue is present, but does not work well. (Eg. Sickle cell disease (see path book). Such pt.s are manages as if a splenic (no spleen at all).

Fundoplication procedure
          Surgical treatment of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) by creating a sphincter at the bottom of the oesophagus to prevent acid reflex.

Fusion
          Join 2 separate bones together into 1 to provide stability.