Power Of Love

Khandavaprastha

Khandavaprastha

A sigh escaped Yudhishthira's heart as he stared at the work going on for building his new city.

Her new home is building! But where is she, the one who was supposed to be here, by his side?

Months ago, when Prince Shaivya reached out to him for the training of Shivi army, Yudhishthira's eager eyes only searched for her. Only a single glimpse of his beloved was all that he wanted. Destiny did not smile at him though. But he knew that it was she who wrote the letter on her father's behalf. He also knew that the intelligent Princess of Shivi had planned and arranged the entire thing.

Just for him!

Yudhishthira's eyes got moist. Without that timely deal with Shivi, this luxurious city of Khandavaprastha could not have been built so soon. His Devika had actively participated in building her own future home! But why didn't she herself come? How long would she make him yearn thus?

Hasn't she forgiven him yet?

"Pranam Maharaj!"

Yudhishthira turned his head. It was a messenger bowing to him.

"I have brought invitation from Avanti. Princess Mitravinda's swayamvara has been fixed on the upcoming Shukla Chaturthi. Maharaj Jayasena has requested you all along with Rajmata Kunti Devi to attend the same."

Yudhishthira nodded, glancing at the letter once. His face brightened up thinking of something.

"It will be our pleasure. Tell uncle Jayasena that we shall be there soon." He smiled. Light of hope had begun to rise within him.

Devika would never miss her cousin sister's swayamvara! Yudhishthira exhaled in a soothing relief, after months.

Finally, it was time! To open his heart to her!

***

Ujjayini, Avanti

"What?" Devika could not resist.

"You heard it right. Bhrata Vinda and Anuvinda want me to choose Duryodhana as my husband." Mitravinda was unbelievably calm.

"What nonsense is this?" Devika snapped. "Which kind of swayamvara it is where the bride doesn't have the freedom to choose her own groom?"

"Is this anything new in Aaryavarta, Devi? Many Princesses of this country have suffered the consequence of their family's unfair wish. Some poor ones even have been abducted from their swayamvara as well." Mitravinda's golden face pulled in a frown.

"I know." Devika's lips pursed. "This land belongs to Emperor Jarasandha and his followers, who use girls like us for their own political reasons. Who cares for women's wish? Who cares for the scriptures that do not allow a wedding without bride's consent?"