Chapter 5: The Aftermath

Today was the 4 month anniversary of Reki's death, It was also the day that I decided to pick up my skateboard again. As soon as I touch it, all of the memories that I had of the board all came flooding back. It wasn't even the original one, I snapped that one in a race, but it still felt like the original one I had with all of the memories attached to it.

      The memories were so overwhelming and I could hear his voice again. I threw the board back down and collapsed. I hadn't cried in a few weeks now, I thought I was ready but I guess not.

      I decided to visit his mom today, I hadn't seen her in a while and I figured that she was also taking a big hit to all of this. I picked up some flowers from the shop that Shadow works at and made my way over to Reki's house.

Once I was there, I took a deep breath, fought off my tears, and knocked on the door.

Reki's mom opened it after a few seconds.

"Oh, Langa.. Hi sweetie, how are you?" She answers, her voice sounded dull and she looked like she hadn't slept in weeks, which was understandable I suppose.

"Hey Ms. Kyan, I'm doing alright... what about you?" I ask, knowing that I really wasn't alright.

"I'm doing alright too, why don't you come in for a bit?" She asked.

"Sure, I'd like that, thank you.." I responded.

"..These are for you by the way.." I say as I hand her the flowers that I bought.

"Thank you, Langa.. They're beautiful." She says as she puts them in a vase.

      After that, I began to visit regularly. I sometimes visited Shadow at his shop and Joe at his restaurant. Sometimes I would run into Miya on my way to school, but other than that, I hadn't really talked to anyone since Reki passed.