23. Flashbacks are a trap but we are rebels

[around 10 years ago; in the middle of the joui war]

"What, Takasugi-kun, you actually think your family is rich? You actually call yourself richie rich!?", Gintoki made a repulsive face at the purple-haired man, who replied to this in kind by bestowing a series of kicks on him.

"Would the two of you cut that out? [name] told the both of you not to fight! Besides, I'm not into richie rich, I like Archie comics better.", Katsura shook his head disapprovingly.

"Look, you just keep your mouth shut!"

Just as the goofs were bickering, the Lord of the South Sea arrived shortly on the shore, rowed by two of his men. He stood stoic and stiff, almost motionless, until his frame started shaking uncontrollably.

"Look at him, what is he laughing for?"

________________________

"[name]-san! That Dragon of Katsurahama has arrived! He's so tall and he looks all cool!", one of the men came pattering towards you in a bustle, using a wide variety of gesticulations to form figures in the air of the celebrated man.

You were a bit behind the rest of the others, staying back to tend to the wound of a man that had unfortunately reopened. You smiled at the welcome piece of news.

"Is that so—I'll be right there, and you should lie over here for a while. If you are in so much pain, you shouldn't push yourself.", you noted towards the man you had finished treating and he looked apologetically at you with a scratch of his cheek.

You and a few others who had remained behind soon caught up with the gang on the shore and what you saw was far different from what you desired to.

"Are they...beating someone up?"

"Ah—[name]-san, help us!", a man who was a member of the Kiheitai adjured to you and you sighed at the embarrassing ordeal before.

"Hey! Gintoki, Shinsuke, calm down! Why are you trying to gang up on our ally? And—oh my god, what is that on your faces!?", you pinched your nose at the disgusting scent of vomit lingering on the men.

"Clean your faces up before you begin fighting...can someone please fetch two towels from the supply box?", you pulled the two men back onto their feets, their outfits dyed with grainy bits of the beach sand and their lips frowned.

"[name] let me go! Today is the day I really become the white demon!"

"I'm going to gut this man..."

"I-I've got the towels here!", a nimble man spoke up, petrified by the malicious aura around your two friends.

"Thank you, now there—wipe your faces up and let's talk like grown people.", you arch your brow threateningly at them both and they reluctantly satisfy themselves with having to wipe their visages clean.

"Um, are you alright? You look very sick? Maybe it's motion sickness.", you crouch to approach the assailed man who had shut his mouth with his palm and was cowering over the sand.

"Y-yeah. I didn't mean——to do...that.", he muttered painfully in low breaths, encasing his head in his arms and doubling over the land, you smiled sweetly at him.

"That's alright. They already forgave you."

"I've not!", Gintoki furiously rubbed the towel against his features.

"What 'lord of the south sea' has motion sickness? That is very misleading.", Takasugi snarled at Sakamoto, also applying the towel to his face persistently.

"You guys, he didn't mean to do that and motion sickness is actually very hard to deal with. What's more, he's here to be our ally so try and be a bit more cordial—where's Zura? I asked him to keep an eye on you both.", you blow your hair behind your ear in the sea breeze.