vermillion vengeance | 38

How is future you? Just warning, i'm sorry. 

It was a normal day. It was, and yet Dream knew in his gut that something was going to go wrong. That something was going to happen, and that was terrifying.

Last time he had a gut feeling, Delia died. The one person who knew him better than he knew himself, or the one person he let sink away.

It was a normal day, Dream performing everything carefully, even when George tried going out for a rescue, he stopped him and did it himself. God, what would he do if something were to happen to his lover?

But now, as the day nearly ends, the sun still lowering itself over the sky. Vermillion rocks at the top of brilliant blues.

It sways, and breaks, drowning slightly, more than it had done just now.

The colour mirrors itself in the waves, and as Dream scoops up his lifeless body, he does everything he can not to burst into tears.

You can know someone for so little time, thirteen weeks, to be precise, and their death will knock you up like a drug. He can only stare, in disbelief, at the poor, angelic thing that had been tainted the colour of vermillion red.

In anger, in heartbreak, in denial.

So little and so much could be said, and done, so many emotions poured over Dreams heart as he looked down through dead eyes, bloodshot, broken. They were no longer lively, lovely, in the presence of morning. Where he'd only woken up, with hands tangled around bedsheets and feet dusted in sand.

"Dream?" 

George tapped on his boyfriends shoulder, then staring at the horror and immense sadness in his boyfriends eyes, he looked down at whatever he was holding.

Vermillion,

a fish. Five Miles, to be precise.

"Oh." George looks down at the fish. His mouth twists shut and his eyes narrow down at it. He knew the fish was dying for a couple days now, yet he knew he'd only get shut down if he told Dream. "We can flu-"

"George!" Dream cries, immediately upset with what George was implying to be done with Five Miles. "Okay. Well uh, do you want to bury him?" George asked with a  gentle smile, he'd gotten used to his boyfriends poor emotions and sadly, a fish dying upset him more than he thought it would.

"Yeah."

And it was then that Dream did burst into tears, looking down at the vermillion fish that he'd grown immensely attached to in the past summer. "Oh god." George mumbled under his breath before he pulled Dream into a hug, the blonde didn't reciprocate, only cupping his hands over the fish.

It was tragic.

"We're here today to-"

Cough.

Who coughed? George looks around and glares at the crowd of six, except his eyes softened when he looked at Dream, giving him a small smile.

George looks back around the group, mild smiles and bitten back laughters rose between the group. "We're here today, to um... celebrate. The life, of..." What was his fishes name? "Five Miles." He finishes, and he has to actually close his eyes and take a second to breathe so he doesn't burst out laughing, his boyfriend nearly bursting out crying for a fourth time in the last hour.

"He was a fish. And he uh, was a good fish. A good pet, a friend to very little, and ...aggressive." He finishes, and he takes a deep breathe once more, turning his face away from Dream so the man couldn't see his hidden smile.

It was tragic, sure. But they were holding a burial for a fucking fish.

"Why are we here again?" Sapnap deadpans, his face pales and his lips thin out when Dream gives him an elbow to the stomach. "Shut the fuck up you nimrod." Karl snapped through gritted teeth to his partner.

Minutes later and the dirt was placed over the angel fish of vermillion.

Two months later, a fish of calming blues swam through the fishtank, George watched as the blonde fed the fish, happily chirping away to himself as he sat down, looking through the glass like a cat.

"Do you know what shade of blue this is, George?" Dream asked, as if rhetorically. Although Dream couldn't see it, George shook his head, but he mumbled a 'no' and waited for Dream to continue.

"Cerulean."
Cerulean blue replaced Vermillion reds, and George smiled happily to Dream, washed over with the calming passion he held dearly.

authors note

kill the fish.