Chapter 4: The River

I might not have been asleep for more than an hour when I heard gentle crawling outside my window. I couldn't see the source of the noise because my lights were turned off. It didn't give me a fright, but it made me intrigued about what it was. Things like this aren't even half of what we witches are afraid of because we're used to hearing strange noises. I awoke due to the noise, not because I was afraid of it.

I was about to go back to sleep and attempt to ignore it when the crawling came to a halt and was replaced by a faint pounding sound. I'm too tired to care about some flaw in the hotel's interior decoration. I reach beneath my pillow for my wand and summon a music box, hoping to drown out the irritation with some soothing music. I slowly drifted back to sleep once the music drowned out the noise. 

When I awoke at 4:30am, I made the decision to get up. It's unusual for me to get up this early, but lying in a bed I'm not used to makes it difficult for me to get a good night's sleep, especially after last night's noise. I stood up and opened my red suitcase to grab my toiletries; the motel provides free amenities, but I'm not a fan of using them, so I usually bring my own, plus it's much safer to use your own personal items.

I grab my pouch out my suitcase and enter the small bathroom. it was just a small bathroom with a proper working shower, a toilet, sink and a mirror. I did my morning routine and a quick shower. the water was so cold that makes it more refreshing, I love cold shower in the morning it makes me start my day with a good mood. I decided to wear a sweater over my tank stop with a phrase 'darling' and a rainbow colors starfish embroidered beside it. and just wore a black high waisted pants since its still cold outside for me to wear shorts. 

Because I'm heading outside, I put on my favorite sneakers and grabbed my wand.I exited my room and walked over to my grandparents' room door, placing my ear on the door to check whether they were awake. I didn't knock since I assumed they were still asleep because there was no disturbance, so I just continued walking away. My footsteps made a small crick in the corridor because the building was still quiet. This hotel has to be rather ancient.

As I make a right turn toward the exit, I spot someone at the reception desk. Of course, someone is working at the front desk. What a fool I was to be shocked.

He welcomed me with a smile and said, "Good morning madam, you woke up early."

I'd want to tell him that a noise in my room woke me up last night, but I don't want to embarrass this motel, and it's far too early for me to be upset with someone.

"Good morning to you as well sir"

I offered him a kind grin and informed him that if any of my grandparents came searching for me, I'd be out and about, most likely by the river. Because this town is famed for its crystal clear water, the Joons river, I'll be heading there. My grandmother always taught me to address everyone as ma'am or sir, regardless of their rank. It's a show of appreciation and gratitude.

I kept heading outdoors; it was still dark, but a sliver of light was starting to appear.I approached a young couple who were seated on a bench, enjoying hot coffee. I can smell the coffee from afar, and it tempts me to take a sip.

"Please pardon me, Miss. Could you please show me the direction to the Joons River?"

"just straight those woods and a couple minutes walking and you'll be able to reach your destination miss." Before addressing my question, she gave me a kind smile.

"Just a few minutes going through those woods and you'll be able to reach your destination, miss." I smiled and said thank you to each of them. I had already turned away from them when the guy began to speak.

"Ahm miss, you might want to keep vigilant at this time of the month since the river's animals are often rouges." With a troubled expression on his face, he said.

"Sir, thank you for informing me. I appreciate your help."  I understand what he's talking about since it's the mating season, and water creatures are more territorial around this time.

It may be frightening to them, but as a sea witch, this will be the ideal moment for me to find my minion. I'm looking forward to arrived at my destination since I've wanted a minion for a long time. I'm hoping that today will be the day, and that showing my grandparents my minion would be a wonderful morning surprise for them.It is not required for witches and wizards to have their own minion, but having one has its own advantages. My grandparents have their own minions as well, but as they became older, they amputated their ties with them since their minions had served their purpose and they would be pleased to learn if their minions could support someone else.