7. Back at Camp Sort of

I wake up the next day and look next to me at the little table. There a card is resting on top of the table. I look inside and see that it's a get well soon card made by Jeremy and NICK. So I was right he was here. I, at first, thought I was right but then the thought joined my dream and made me think I was wrong. Now I know that he was here and saw me. God Nurse Lane. He probably thinks I look like a monster between the bruises and the swollen and bruised eye. Wait why do I care what he thinks all of the sudden. Well hopefully I can leave soon and thank him for getting me to the nurse. Nurse Lane walks in and hands me some water and a bagel.

"Here I went and got this for you for breakfast. You were asleep and I didn't want to wake you so I hope you like bagels."

This is perfect I write and smile at her. Nurse Lane is one of the nicest people I have ever met. She always wants to help and cares about everyone. She's one of the only adults that I actually like at this camp.

She smiles back and leaves me to it. I take a bite of the bagel and the toastyness of it scratches at my throat, but it tastes so good that I don't care. I finally take a sip of water once I can't take the scratching anymore. Once I'm finished Nurse Lane comes in and sits by me.

"Ok here are some throat drops. Use one when you need it. Don't talk until you see me in a week. Don't overwork yourself. Use a cool wet rag on your eye and nose when you need it to help with swelling and pain. Come to me if you need anything or you feel light headed. Do you understand?"

I nod my head yes and Nurse Lane gets up. She brings Nick into the room.

"Nick offered to help you get to wherever you need to go. He already talked to Tommy and he said he could help you. Isn't that nice Maya?"

I shake my head, faking a smile. Dear god Nurse Lane. It's almost like she couldn't pick up that I didn't want him around.

"Did you like the card? Once Jeremy heard what happened he said that he thought you might enjoy it. I didn't really do anything but write the message and sign, Jeremy decorated it and came up with the message."

I looked at the card and smiled.

"You feeling any better today? You had me really worried yesterday."

I write down more sore today but bearable and hand him the notepad. He reads it and frowns.

"Let me know if you need to take a minute ok. I don't need you getting hurt anymore."

Aww he really does care. At the end of his sentence I blush on accident. Seeing me blush causes him to. I don't even know why I'm blushing or why I care. I've been like this since yesterday at the lake. I've got to ignore this though and focus on having fun this summer.

Nick walks over to me and helps me stand. My legs are sore and stiff but after a minute or so they get used to being walked on and the pain is bearable. We head for the door and Nurse Lane yells to remember to take it easy. I walk down the stairs slowly with Nick holding my elbows to make sure I don't fall.

"Where do you want to go Maya?"

I point toward the arts and crafts cabin. Today my cabin should be at arts and crafts around this time. We walk slowly over to the cabin and when we get there I notice that my cabin isn't there. Actually Tommy's cabin is. I must have gotten the time wrong.

"Oh, it's my cabin. Do you want to just head to your cabin and find out where they are?"

I shake my head no and head inside. Tommy is sitting at the front braiding some string together. Will is in the back corner, his eye faded to a blue. Jeremy is the first to spot me and he runs up to me. Nick steps in front of me before Jeremy can hug me.

"She's fragile right now Jeremy. Take it easy."

Jeremy gives me a gentle hug and smiles.

"Did you like the card Maya? Nick and I might have snuck in here to make it," he whispered and then giggled.

I shook my head yes and Tommy headed over to me.

"I did just what I said. Not a word has been said to him. Nick taking good care of you?"

I nod my head.
"Close your eyes and put your arm out."

I close my eyes and feel something around my wrist.

"Open."

I see that the thing Tommy was braiding was a bracelet for me. It's blue and a very detailed braid, each one of the three braids a different color. I hug Tommy and he laughs.

"Are you going to stay here or head to your cabin?"

I point towards the door, signalling that I'll be heading to my cabin.

"Ok be careful and I'll see you in a bit," he kisses the top of my head and me and Nick head for the door.

Before we reach the door Jeremy comes running up and pulls me into a goodbye hug. My body screams and my voice releases said scream. Jeremy lets me go and I fall to the floor. Nick and Tommy are by my side in an instant and Jeremy goes to the corner and begins to cry.

"Are you ok?!" Nick takes my face into his hand, wiping the tear that had fallen off of my cheek.

I nod my head, even though I'm in a lot of pain.

"Jeremy, I said she's fragile! Why didn't you listen!" Nick yells.

I place my hand on Nick's face to get him to focus back on me and I shake my head no so he knows to leave Jeremy alone. Tommy and Nick help me up and I walk over to Jeremy. I put my hand on his shoulder to let him know that I'm ok. I catch eyes with Will and I can see that he has a look of almost shame on his face. I head towards the door and give Tommy a hug, then I walk outside and Nick is right beside me.

"Are you sure you're ok? I told Jeremy but he didn't listen."

I take the notepad and open it. I write, I'm fine now. Jeremy didn't mean it, he just gets excited and he cares. Don't say anything to him later please. Nick nods his head and we head towards my cabin.