What about my car?!

An hour later, Orca had finished answering the questions. She was surprised to find that the majority of the questions revolved around her experiences with her dogs. Chance in particular. Orca was the first to admit that her dog was not child, adult, man, or occasionally dog friendly. When Orca was around, he was on his best behavior. When she wasn't, well it wasn't good. How did they know about her personal life? She was not very open about it, especially with the werewolves hanging around. Maybe they were stalkers. Yup, just her luck. A school full of stalkers. The vet came back into the room as Orca handed him the packet.

"Why is it so personal?" she asked.

"When you were fourteen, some of the teachers noticed that you acted slightly off, and those changes in behavior normally signify the werewolf gene. The tests are personalized, it makes the results more realistic for you and for the pack," he replied.

"I called the pack. They will be ready to receive you at 8:00 p.m. tonight.  Since the school is located in Maine, it will take us three hours to get there so the sooner we leave the better. There will be more paperwork to fill out when you get there and then you can settle into your dorm. You will be housed with other werewolves, those that are close to your age. Males and females are kept separate. Now, when you go home to pack, pack only what you need. This includes a week's worth of clothes, bathroom items, cell phone, birth certificate, and in your case with the dog, some toys," the vet replied.

Orca nodded. She sighed for a moment, realizing that this was it. She was going to go all furry.

"I'll see you at the house then? Are my parents there?" she asked as she stood up. Max ran up to the door, eagerly wagging his stubbed tail.

"We'll meet them at the hospital as we are driving to the school. I will be taking you to your house. I don't want you running off," the vet opened door and led Orca to large black SUV. She looked back to where her car should have been. It was parked inf ront of the main door where she had left it. The vet opened the passenger door. Max leaped inside and went for the steering wheel.

"Are you getting in?" he asked.

"I have a car," Orca replied. She gestured to it. The vet chuckled.

"You won't be needing one where you're going. Give me the keys. I will have it driven to your house," he held out his hand as Orca backed away. Max barked with impatience.

"You can't be serious. I just got my licensed today. I drove my truck for thirty minutes and now you're saying that I have to leave it behind? What about my rights as a citizen and the freedom and responsibility of having a car? I worked hard for that!" Orca snapped. She glared at the vet. He pinched the bridge of his nose as he shook his head.

"Sorry Orca, but no cars allowed. You are more privileged than the other students in that you get to bring two dogs to school with you. The freedom of your wolf will surpass whatever freedom your car would have given you. Now, the keys please," he held out his hand for a second time. Nearly growling, Orca handed over her keys before getting into the SUV. Max sat on her lap as Orca opened the window so he could stick his head out. It was quiet for a while. The vet kept his eyes on the road. The radio was off, and Orca allowed herself to drift to what her new summer might look like. She was excited but also nervous. How many other humans were in her position? How easily would she make friends? Would she be accepted? What about Max and Chance? How would they fair? Would she see Becky?

"What's your name? I don't believe you ever told me," Orca said, she glanced in the vet's direction.

"It's Ecbert."

"That's different."

"Not from where I come from."

He pulled up into her drive way. Orca hopped out and opened the garage. Once inside her house, she made a be-line for the food cabinet. She grabbed herself some granola bars, kit kats, fiber one bars,twix, dove chocolate, dark chocolate, crunch bars, fruit loops ceral, dog biscuits, a bag of chips, and stuffed it in a bag. These were her favorite foods, and if werewolves were anything like dogs, she only had a month to eat the chocolate.