Chapter 15

Laila

The rest of the week went by and Xavier and I have seen each other every night. It's crazy how in such a short amount of time, he has become a constant person in my life. Today was Sunday, and I woke up early to visit my parents. Xavier texted me in the morning wishing me a safe drive, he is so sweet, always checking in on me, his messages always make my heart flutter.

The drive up to New Hampshire was relaxing, with no traffic, and I got to watch the sunrise on my way there.

"Laila!" My mother practically runs down the steps of her house with her arms wide open, before I can even put my car in park. She pulls me into an airtight hug, not leaving any space between us. "So good to see you!"

"Hey! Mom! How are you guys? Where's dad?" I force out.

"He's in the back, trying to garden some vegetables."

"That must be a sight to see."

"Why do you think I ran out here, I'm so glad you're here, how is everything? The bakery, the girls?"

"Everything is great mom. Bakery is booming with business. I think this will be my chance to not only save my shop but maybe buy the space next to me and expand."

"That's wonderful honey!" my mother commented gleefully.

"How's Jordan?" My sister, who lives in the same state as my parents with her husband, and 2 kids. However, I rarely ever see them, or her. She usually visits my parents when I'm not here and on the holidays, spends it with her husband's family. A year after my accident, she began to distance herself from me, well all of us. I never understood why. The few times I've seen her, she barely passes saying hi. I miss the relationship we used to have. Despite her not being my blood, she's always been, my sister. It breaks my heart to know she doesn't want to be near me.

"She's um, doing good. Married, the kids, working, you know."

"I don't know mom. It's been 4 years and..." I paused "I don't want to talk about that now. How are you feeling?"

"I'm hanging in there. What you did for us with the house, Laila took a chip off our shoulders."

"I'm happy to help you guys mom. You looked after me day and night after my accident. You even had to move because of all the medical bills. This is the least I could do. But most of all, you're my mom. The greatest mom I could have ever asked for."

"Please don't say that Laila. I've made many mistakes." sounding regretful or even guilty.

"But who hasn't, you aren't perfect. I still love you the same. What have the doctors said this time?" I reassure her with a gentle stroke of her hand.

She sighed for a moment and looked down at her fuzzy slippers. "This is something I need to tell you all as a family. I didn't tell Jordan you were coming today, she still thinks you have car troubles and is coming over, she should be here soon actually."

"Mom,..." Just as I was about to speak, we hear a car pulling into the driveway. Mom runs out to meet Jordan, her husband, and their kids. My nephews, whom I hardly know.

"AUNT LAILA!" Kevin jumps out of the car and runs inside, giving me the tightest bear hug. Without thinking I squeeze him back!

"My little man! How are you?" I say joyfully! Seeing him makes this day a whole lot sunnier.

"I'm 6 now!" He shouts.

"I know! And you have gotten so big and handsome!" I give him another hug and kiss on the top of his head. Just then I saw my sister walk in with her daughter Lilly, and her husband Jason. I stood on my feet, feeling anxious, my fingers started feeling jittery, I just couldn't get them to stop moving.