Chapter 1

A/N: Hello everyone this is my first book and I am open to constructive criticism. If you notice any mistakes please point them out so I can fix them. Thank you! :)
Edit:Thank you everyone for over 100 reads! I'm very excited to see people enjoying this! Thank you readers!
***

I woke up like every morning; the sun was shining, the birds were singing or something. I don't know, I'm not a morning person. Anyway, I got out of bed after about 5 minutes and went to get ready. I walked out of my room and through hallways and past many doors. I eventually reached the kitchen where breakfast was already laid out.

"Your late. Per usual." Hunter said with an annoyed voice.

Hunter is one of my friends who lives with me. We both work to protect the noble of our house. It's a good deal for us, all we have to do is protect the nobles land and we get to live in a nice castle. Sure, it's not as big as the noble's castles but we're not nobles.

"You know that today was the one day we needed you to be up early." Finnian said jokingly. Finnian is another friend of mine.
What was he talking about? Nothing special was happening today.
And that's when it hit me. I had forgotten that today was a major jousting tournament. Both Hunter and Finnian were competing but I am not because 'I hurt my arm during training and now whenever I pick something up it hurts.'

I sat down and started eating some brown bread and eggs. When Finnian suddenly grabbed my bread.

"Hey!" I yelled. Finnian held the bread up above my head laughing at me. When I tried to grab the bread back I fell on top of Finnian and he hit his head on the ground. BAM!

"Oh God! Finnian are you okay?" I exclaimed. Finnian didn't move. I got up and ran over to him and was a bout to shake him when I was suddenly pulled down on top of him.

"Falling for me already Nikolai?" He laughed. Hunter started at us a hint of jealousy could be seen in his eyes.

"Stop being silly, Finnian. Now give me my bread back." Finnian laughed once more but handed my bread back. I quickly ate it so he couldn't steal it again.

"We should problem get going now. Unless you all want to be late." Hunter interrupted.

"Okay let's go." I responded, as I had finished eating. We headed over to the stables and mounted our horses. We road east past the surfs (or servants) houses.

When we finally got there Hunter and Finnian went off to go get ready. I got off my horse and went to find a place where I could go watch the action.

***

After a few people competed, I finally saw Finnian go up. I was excited. I had never really seen him joust before but I had heard he was good. I looked around to find his opponent.

It was.... HUNTER!

It couldn't be that bad though right. I knew Hunter skill level though so it was practically impossible for Finnian to win. Hunter was a champion at jousting. Hell, he had never lost a jousting tournament in the past 2 years. I just hoped that Finnian wouldn't get too many injures.

He heard the man start them and off they went, charging at each other at full speed. I felt as if the world had gone into slow motion as I watched. I stared as Hunter hit Finnian at full speed but instead of Finnian flying off he was stopped.

A tip of metal protruded from his back.

The javelin was wedged in his stomach, crimson spreading across his white tunic. The smell filled the air. Everyone screamed. I couldn't move.

I looked at Hunter's face, white with shock. He was almost crying as he slides off his horse, running to escape the jeers and shouts of the crowd. He flees the arena, coming to the place I'm standing. He looked at me slowly.