You're it

CHIARA

Saturday, 8:11pm

It's past eight already, she should be here, I think. I know I shouldn't be worried, after all, it's only been a couple minutes since Ella called me. She just sounded so...distraught. My thoughts are disrupted by Ella barging in. She is breathing heavily, as if she ran here by foot.

"Did you run here?" I laugh, looking up to her. She didn't answer, but looked at me dead in the eyes.

"I'm guessing you did." I say, trying to match her seriousness. I pat the space next to me, signalling her to sit. I am nervous, but not as nervous as she seems to be.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing, I-," she stutters just as I cut her off.

"NOTHING? YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT I SAT HERE FOR 15 WHOLE MINUTES, FREAKING OUT BECAUSE I THOUGHT SOMETHING WAS WRONG!" I leap up from where I was and start pacing around my room as I yell.

"I wanted-" Ella tries to get words in but I cut her off again.

"NO. LISTEN I HOPE YOU'RE OKAY AND I DON'T MEAN TO BE RUDE, BUT YOU MADE IT SOUND LIKE YOU WERE BASICALLY NEAR DEATH. HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO REACT TO THAT? THEN YOU MARCH INTO MY ROOM AND TELL ME THAT NOTHING IS WRONG? I-"

"I'm moving," This time it is she who cuts me off. At her announcement, Ella stares at the ground, and it's obvious that she's holding in tears. I look down at her immediately, taken back by her words. "I'm moving to California, Chiara, before summer begins. My dad got a new job there."

"What?" I ask, utterly confused.

"I found out a few days ago, but I was too scared to tell you. I would have told you in a less...startling way, but I realized that the longer you didn't know, the longer I would feel like I'm keeping something from you. And I hate keeping things from you."

I sit back down next to her, and pull her into a hug, tears dripping down both our faces.

"I'm sorry for yelling." I make out. She says nothing, but I hear her laugh. I don't know what I was expecting, but it definitely was not that. I figured she would tell me that our free IHOP passes expired; after all, she did say it was nothing.

"Are you upset?" She asks.

"No.Yes. No. I mean, of course I am, but I can't stop you." I am devastated, but I won't show it; I can't show it, not for her sake.

Ella stays for another hour, and we talk about her plans. I'm trying to keep it together for her. I wouldn't want her to feel guilty for something she cannot control.

I start my night routine by doing my skincare, still thinking of the news I received just a bit ago. I try to clear my head as I'm washing my face. I think of the time when Ella and I made a fake music video for one of our favorite Billie Eilish songs. We spent hours and hours on it, only for it to look like absolute garbage. I think of the time when we tried out a bunch of gummy candies and filmed it, or the time when we made slime for the first time. I smile. I'm gonna miss her..and Vaughan, and Mrs. Harry, and Mr. Harry. I feel a tear drip down my face, but I wipe it immediately. Enough sappiness. We still have a couple months.

I dry off my face and head into bed, after saying my prayers, of course. I shut my eyes.

"You can't catch me," Vaughan yelled across the yard.

"I sure can," Liam says.

Ella and I watch them from the other side of the backyard. I take one look at her and we exchange a mutual agreement to join them. We get up and run over to the boys. Ella sprints over to Liam and tags him on the shoulder.

"You're it." Ella turns and runs back. Liam runs to me and tags me on the back. I book it for Vaughan, he hasn't been it yet. As I am close to catching up with him, he turns towards me and looks me straight in the eyes. I stop in front of him. We share...a moment. He takes a step closer and...

I wake up. That was weird, I think, really weird. I practically gag. I get up from my bed and walk down to the kitchen. I need a refresher after that dream. I open the cupboard and grab a snazzed cup. I fill it with warm milk and take a sip, trying to clear my mind. I would think of another memory with Ella, but that would make me sad. I go back upstairs and try my luck with sleeping again. I am successful. Thankfully.