Like a Son

MRS. HARRY

Thursday, 8:58pm

"Shoot." I mutter to myself, throwing my phone on the couch. I cannot believe I just did that. All I was trying to do was save the photo so I could get rid of the letter.

My hands move over my face as I pace back and forth in the living room. The kids are going to be here any second, and I don't know what Chiara told them. They could be marching in here to kill me at any second.

I hear footsteps approach the side door and I panic. I jump down on the couch and shuffle around, trying to make myself look more casual.

Liam and Vaughan come in first. I look behind me to see them minding their own business, looking perfectly normal. I'm hoping that means Chiara didn't say anything.

Ella walks in next and throws her keys down on the counter, looking normal just like the boys.

"Hey... g-guys, how was ice cream?" I stutter.

"Good," the girls say in unison before running upstairs. Chiara doesn't make eye contact with me at all, but I guess that's for the better.

I don't know what to do. Chiara is definitely going to tell Ella and that would mean that everyone knows besides Vaughan and Dad. I feel like we are betraying Liam. I never would have opened the letter if I knew what was inside. I think I need to come clean to him about it. I can't keep this from him, especially since we have so little time left.

I brush off my pants and sit up, taking a breath before calling Liam downstairs.

Liam comes down quickly, yet hesitantly, knowing that I don't usually speak to him one on one.

"Come sit." I say, pointing to the couch. I sit down beside him and I take another breath.

"Am I in trouble? Because whatever it is, Vaughan did it." He says with an innocent look on his face.

"No, honey," I say with a laugh.

"Then what is it?" He asks.

"Listen, I saw something of yours that I didn't intend to see. And it's something that I wish I could take back because it's personal, and before I tell you what it is I just want to apologize. I am truly sorry fo-"

"You found the letter, didn't you?" He cuts me off.

"Y-yes... how did you know?"

"I figured. You've been acting weird and I noticed it was missing. It's not a big deal anyway because Vaughan already knows." He replies.

My eyebrows furrow in confusion. Liam notices my expression and continues.

"Look, if you're mad about it, I'll say goodbye to Vaughan and that'll be it."

"No, sweetie, it's okay. Really, it is. I was just surprised about how strong the feelings seemed even through the letter. You're young and he's my son, so I was shocked. But I have no problem with you, or the two of you for that matter. You know I love you like a son, and I support you, no matter what."

His eyes well up and I can tell he tries to hide it. Before he can react any more, I pull him into a hug.

"Thank you," He muffles into my neck.

"What does Vaughan think, if you don't mind me asking?" I throw in, not wanting to pry.

He stands up and wipes his eyes, "He's chill. We kissed, so I guess he feels the same way." He says before turning around and running up the stairs.

He gave me absolutely no time to process what he just said, but I guess that was the point.