4.

~

Could it be that I don't know how it feels like to be loved or I don't know how it is to love?

~~

Adnan clenched his fist very hard, punching at the wall until he lost count, truth to be told, it hurts but not as much as his heart aches for his Batool.

Yes, his Batool.

He knows how growing up treated her, what Adnan quotes as "Batool's nineteen" is no play. He's unsure of being in love with her but what are those pangs?
Maybe he has always loved her but he's realizing at the verge of her fate being entwined with another's man and that too, Abubakar.

The sound of the door mustered another fit of rage within Adnan and his heart got filtered again, he barked out a bitter yell and jammed his fist with the wall again.

"Leave!" He exclaimed, his back to the door. He didn't even lend worry or attention to know the person standing at his door.

"Leave!" He mumbled out again, loud enough to be heard and analyzed because of the stress laced in the one word he outed.

Rukkayah felt a little scared, she has never seen Adnan this way, never. Not even when he lost his maternal grandmother whom he loved like his life.

"Adnan, you live and die first in your mind. Everyone is hurting for Batool." She said, stealing glances between the books neatly arranged on his shelf and his blood stained hands. Hearing it's his Ammah, he felt remorseful for yelling at her.

She continued, "Nanu, we don't always get what we want. Life might dish out a beautiful beginning with a sad end or vise versa, nothing is fair here but when a person's claimed motherhood and irrelevant authority silences and smashes the humans surrounding her with no care or consideration of their relation to her, then I honestly believe that is the definition of wreck, but anyways, we shall see what the end will serve and thank God Abubakar is a good person" She accompanied her sentence with a vigorous nod taking Adnan's injured hands in her palms.

No, maybe it's a joke. Did she just say Abubakar is a good person?
Oh yes, to the world he is but in reality he's a green snake shuffling around in green grasses.

Pulled aback by her words, Adnan's pains lessened to almost a zero but a line in her says is not true to him, Abubakar is a monster, he knows that.
It's like a poet Identifying metaphors as similes.

"Someone is here to see you."

He wondered who would be here to see him but that didn't make him ask, he pulled a towel and damped on his sweats before proceeding to the door, he twisted the knob faintly and turned to look at his strength, his Ammah.

"Hey, at least let's be decent. You're shirtless you know." She said "might be a female standing out there."

"Ammah" he groaned deeply.

She smiled exposing her soul assaulting dimples, Adnan is the exact replica of his Ammah, just that his Ammah is fair and his skin is like that of Caramel.

He said an audible Salam and dimpled into the sitting room. A man stood ahead of him, facing the television.

"The doctor is here!" He said with enthusiasm, turning to face Adnan.

Hell!

Adnan gasped "You son of.."

Abubakar cut him off "Lameen and Haleemah"

Adnan frowned, crossing his arms above his chest "let's make it snappy, what do you want? I'm busy"

"I see, you should be. You're busy mourning the loss of your beloved huh?"