Part 11

Wednesday 3:06 AM

Nick had managed to fall asleep on the futon without too much effort. He did not stir nor wake all night save the one visit to the bathroom. He used that opportunity to check on Joy too. He moved quietly in his sock feet into her bedroom and peeked. She had shifted but was sleeping comfortably. He watched her breathing a few seconds turned off her lamp then returned to the futon and was back asleep himself within minutes.

Wednesday 5:58 AM

It was the loud crash of a ceramic mug into the sink that woke him. His eyes flashed open. The room was lighter, morning light penetrating the tinted skylight filling the room with a blueish hue. He could make out the shape of Joy, her back turned to him frozen before the sink. Slowly she turned to look at him over her left shoulder. He watched, their eyes met and he smiled.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. I was going to make us some coffee. These are the only mugs I have. You want some?"

"Sure," he nodded.

"I have a terrible headache," she said switching on the coffee pot.

"It tastes like a cat shit in my mouth too."

"Yeah," Nick smiled, "I had to chase that rascal out of here several times."

Joy had changed. She was in tight fitting gray yoga pants and a loose blue tee-shirt. Her hair was bundled into a sloppy ponytail. She had washed her face at some point.

"How long have you been up?"

"Oh, fifteen or twenty minutes maybe. Not long. Once I wake up though I can't go back to sleep. Something strange about my body. If I'm tired I just have to turn in early the next night."

"Damn, I'm glad I'm not like that." Nick said stretching his arms and flexing his sore shoulder blades.

Joy leaned against the counter as the coffee pot dripped dark, aromatic, waking goodness into the glass carafe. She smiled.

"You didn't even have a blanket. Did you get cold?"

Nick was surprised at her tone, the caring concern was a side of her he had not expected to ever see.

"No, I was pretty much zonked out."

"Yeah you were, didn't even hear me until I dropped the stupid mug. Glad it didn't break."

"You want to go get breakfast somewhere?" He asked, then stretched and yawned some more.

"God no, I feel like I'm going to puke," she said sticking her tongue out and pretending to gag.

"Still? Damn you are a lightweight."

"And don't you forget it," she said.

Nick excused himself to the bathroom and when he returned she was sitting on the futon stretched out with her feet on the coffee table. Nick's coffee was waiting with the sugar jar next to it.

He took it, added sugar and toasted her.

"Here's to the beginning of a beautiful friendship," Nick said, doing his best Bogart impression. It wasn't wasted either, but wasn't impressive.

Joy shook her head then clinked mugs with him and they drink their fist cup coffee slowly, letting the morning creep in.

Joy broke the silence first.