Night at Hugo's

The brightly lit interiors of Hugo's Bistro seemed to spill out the glass doors and onto the sidewalk like a luminous welcome mat. The light from the patio was glimmering on top of the empty tables. Reuben held Shalom's hand as a waiter pulled the glass door from inside leading them into the dining. The restaurant felt like they have entered a dreamland. The happy chatter, the fragrances, the easy and natural colors. Soft piano melodies were faintly playing in the background as well, harmonizing along with every heartbeat of the people who were dining in. Hugo's Bistro was a family-owned restaurant that was run by an old French couple in uptown San Francisco. It was the type of restaurant couples would make their first choice on valentine's day, anniversary, or any other special occasion to boost their romance. It was one that they had seen before, but couldn't afford to pay. The interior had an over-the-top décor, with chandelier light hanging on the ceiling. Outside the restaurant, they had a venue at the patio which was a perfect vantage point for gazing off the twinkling stars while sipping a classic Bordeaux wine.

The waiter led Reuben and Shalom towards a small table at a far corner, which was less bright, and the only light was from a few well-placed candles. He grabbed her hand again, pulled a chair, letting her sit, and her excitement started growing, and a genuine smile played in her face warming his heart. She was wearing a red sheath dress, with high heels that had diamond glittering around the top of it. Her hair was midnight black, and it flowed over her shoulders and it would make a tiny wave as she walked. She was wearing a perfume that had the romance of the most exquisite floral bouquets.

Another waiter approaches them and, without taking a menu he poured them Pinot Noir and left the bottle on the table, ordering them in advance so there would be no interruptions from waiting for staff. A shy smile slipped out of Shalom's lips, making her blush. While she was wondering about the waiter leaving the bottle of wine on their table without taking an order, Reuben locked his eyes at her, smiling back warmly to comfort her. He immediately opened the bottle and poured it into Shalom's glass. He was watching her as she sips the wine, both eyes locked at each other's sight leaving their surroundings to fade away.

"What a surprise!" Shalom bubbled with excitement.

"I love the way you look in this dress and your high heels." he slid his right hand over the table, rubbing the top of her hand softly and playing with her fingers. She had average adorable fingers where her nails were polished orderly with shinning red color.

"Thank you," she made a glance. There was blushing that shows her soul, a sort of compliment to her eyes and the delicate sweetness within. Reuben smiled with delight and placed his glass aside and held Shalom's hand. His fingers pressed her hand gently and pulled them towards his lips and kissed them.

She started enjoying his gaze and at the same time, she was processing her thoughts. They locked eyes across the table, creating a universe of their own. Reuben was lost in the depths of Shalom's brown eyes making him look like he was projected into her mind, trying to read her soul. She was nervous and she was struggling to hide her elevated heartbeats while feeling Reuben's desire and commitment to her.

A big gulp of wine rolled down Reuben's throat as he took a big sip, and she gazed at him over her glass as she sips from her half-filled glass. She knew he was watching her and then he cleared his throat and held both of her hands. "You know, ever since the day that you walked into my life, you've been such a huge blessing to me. You've fought my battles and faced my adversity..." Reuben grew serious, and Shalom's hands started sweating, eagerly waiting where he was going with it. "... I've never felt this way ever in my life, not that I can recall. If you'd ask out loud who's the luckiest man in this world, I'd proudly raise my arms in the sky to let the world know that you're the key to my happiness. The key to my success. And this is the reason why I love you so much...", he stopped and tears of joy started rolling down Shalom's eyes, and she let go of his right hand to dry her eyes with a napkin that was placed over the table.

She was having mixed feelings and a thousand words were spoken inside her head all at once, raising her expectations high. She tried to recall and grasp every thought that crossed her mind, but she was left clueless. She barely noticed the waiter placing a gold cloche serve on top of their table. Even though she was nervous this time, she clearly didn't remember placing an order and she couldn't keep her eyes away from the cloche serve that was placed close to her.

"You didn't just bring happiness to my world, but you have transitioned my darkness with everlasting joy and light. My heart is pure with you in it..." he pushed back his seat and stood right in front of her. "what are you doing?" she whispered and he smiled at her affectionately, and his hands were still holding her hands. Now she started getting nervous even more as he started bending his right knee, kneeling right in front of her. "Oh my God, no" she didn't see it coming up until he opened the cloche serve. When he lifted it, there was a small black velvet ring box underneath it. She couldn't help but feel thrilled at the sight of him kneeling in front of her, and everyone in the restaurant turning their head watching them. "Shalom, I love you very much. Will you marry me?"

There was something so sweet in that moment of proposal, the heart fully open and vulnerable, that the eternal bond of the couple is made even stronger. Shalom cried out in surprise, hoping that it wasn't a dream. No doubts crossed her mind, and she pushed back her seat, placing her warm hands on his cheeks, bending down to kiss him. "Yes! Yes!" her voice was cracked and she cried again. The faded crowd's voice came alive as everybody started applauding, leaving some females to cry in the restaurant. Reuben's eyes were watery, and he smiled back at Shalom as he put the ring in her finger. Anyone could see the bond between them, and it could be felt. When two hearts are pure, everything is beautiful and natural.

Reuben got up after she accepted his proposal, holding her waist, he pulled her gently towards him pressing his lips against her, muffling his words, kissing her delicately. The people continued screaming and applauding and Shalom was enraptured. Lost for words, she leaned forward and kissed him again.

Time stands still, stopping just for them to let them rejoice the moment with love and compassion. Reuben refilled their glass and two waiters brought food to their table, letting them dine in peace. The smile of pleasure never left Shalom's face and again she saw her favorite dish 'Pecan-crusted Fish' being served. At a loss for words, she pinched herself to assure that she wasn't in a deep sleep. She lived the moment, every second of it. Everything happened very fast and was put in order. She took in a deep breath and blew it with relief.

After what felt like an eternity, it was around eleven at night. Reuben rises from the table and steps over towards Shalom, holding her hand. She took his hand and rises, letting him lead the way. In a slight whisper, she said "aren't we...", he quickly replied, "no need to settle for the check, it's already been taken care of..." he smiled and the whole night felt like an ocean of surprises. They walked through the long lobby to the open door. It leads to a patio, and then the exit. The tables were cleared and empty for the night. They finally left the restaurant, and the air was cold outside. Reuben locked her inside his arms, passing his warmth to her. The clear sky was speckled with stars and the moon was nearly full, lighting the path ahead of them. He takes her arm in his and they walked towards his car letting the moon illuminate their way.