Prologue

Prologue

She stood there, tracing her finger along the edge of the blade, which dripped blood onto the ground. It made a small puddle on the table that the smell permeated the air, and it made her smile wickedly, giving her a euphoria that was indescribable. She knew what she was doing, which made this whole thing a little bit exciting. She loved it when she was able to do torture information out of people. She knew if she did too often enough the Elders would be breathing down her neck asking her questions, and she didn’t need that. So whenever she did do it, she savored the moment for every second it counted.

            Turning back around, her gaze landed on the woman in front of her. Honey brown hair laid around a heart shaped face with deep brown, almond shaped eyes looking up. The woman was tied down to a silver-topped table, ankles and wrists locked down with a chocker around her small neck, so there was no possible moving, besides a quick twitch of pain. Soft lips moved in a fast prayer to an unknown God, asking for help and saving. This made her giggle.

Oh, how foolish of her, she thought. There is no God.

            “You know no one can hear you?” she asked simply, being amazed how soundproofing a room could become so mainstream.

            “I’ll never tell you what you need to know,” the woman spat. “All you are is the devil incarnate. I’ll never tell you anything, Ailis. I’d rather die than give you any type of information.”

            Ailis chuckled. “You have overestimated yourself, my dear.” She took the knife she held in her left hand and dipped it into a pitcher of water. “I know your weaknesses, and I shall use them till you give me what I want. Do you understand? This simply isn’t about you and me, you foolish girl. This is bigger than anything than you have ever thought about. This is bigger than the world. Don’t you remember the stories they told you as a child? ‘The End shall begin with an unclaimed Dragon.’ Don’t you remember the old stories? The stories that humans stole from us and made into nursery rhymes? They are all true. The world as we know will end with your boy.”

            The woman pondered the thought for a moment and spoke, “There were many stories I heard growing up. And I didn’t care for them then, and I certainly don’t care for them know. You will get nothing from me about him.”

            Ailis let the water dripped onto the woman’s arm. Once the water touched her skin, it started to gurgle and bite into her skin, making her twitch and scream. The water acted as acid against her skin. “Ah, dragon’s tongues,” she breathed, “such a lovely flower, but such a poison for a Dragon, like you.” She plunged the knife into the woman’s stomach, making sure she didn’t kill her.

            “Now, Alarice, you know we can do this the hard way or the easy way. Which way is it going to be?” Ailis said.

            Alarice, the woman pinned to the table, bit  her lip in pain, knowing that deep down she shouldn’t do what she was about to do, but what was her other option right now? She had been captured by the one person she was told to avoid since she had given up her only child sixteen years ago. And now here she was paying for the consequences of the decisions that she made as the fragile, naïve seventeen year old. “I’ll tell you,” she screamed aloud. “I’ll tell you anything I remember!”

            Ailis squealed, unable to hold back the emotions she felt. Everything is falling together perfectly. “Good. Now tell me, what is your boy’s name?”

            “Ambers!”