Twelve

With the littles in bed and the boys in their bedroom, Steve and Bucky relaxed in the living room. The lights dimmed and an overly cheesy omrom on, the pair cuddled on the couch. In between eating the secret ice cream and sharing just as sweet kisses. It was a nice Friday night.

Even if Bucky did keep glancing at the clock.

"He'll be home for curfew," Steve reminded, stealing a spoonful of chunky monkey from his husband's bowl.

"I know, I know," Bucky conceded. And then glanced at the clock again.

Shaking his head, Steve directed his attention at the TV. Asking, "Now, is he going to end up with the pretty beta woman?"

"Huh?" Bucky asked, distracted.

"Is the omega going to end up with the –"

Boom!

The loud crack of the front door slamming shut caused each man to jump. Alert in their surprise, they climbed off the sofa and cautiously crept towards the hallway. Half-afraid that someone had broken into their house.

From the girls' room, Steve could hear frightened cries. His heart begged him to check on his daughters while his adrenalin told him to attack and protect. Absolutely torn by the warring emotions, Steve followed his husband further down the hall. After all, they had to in order to get to the once-upon-a-time nursery and further down the hallway to the stairs.

The stairs where heavy footsteps were heard. Thump, thump, thump, they stomped. Steve's heart jumped up into his throat, choking him with fear.

"You check on the girls," Bucky strategized. "I'll check on the boys."

Despite his instincts yelling at him to stand firm and not separate, he didn't argue. Instead, he kept his gaze on the door and the end of the hallway and sidestepped his way into the girls' suite. Dimming the lights, he found the girls holding each other as they cried on Bitsy's bed.

"It's okay," Steve attempted to soothe them.

"It hurted my ears," Nevie sobbed, throwing herself at her papa.

"I know, sweetie, it hurt mine too." Marking her back, he continued, "But it's going to be alright. Daddy and I aren't going to let anything happen to you."

"Where's daddy?" Cori sniffled.

"He's checking on the boys," Steve assured, tucking her knotted waves behind her ear. "He'll be done any minute now."

"Pomise?" Bitsy asked, her little lip quivering.

"Pinky promise," Steve held his hand out, hoping that none of them would notice the way it was shaking.

Holding her own little pinky out, she looped it with Steve's. Leaning forward, he kissed her forehead as he assured, "Nothing's going to happen. I won't let it."

And he wouldn't. He'd give his life to save his children. On that small toddler bed, the four of them sat. The girls holding hands with each other while sitting on – and around – Steve. He just kept his gaze on the open doorway. Kept marking over them, so they knew that they were safe.

It was quiet all except for the living room TV. But Steve stayed where he was. Even though he hated it. He felt as though he was letting the rest of his family down for not fighting whoever barreled their way into –