Chapter 5 - Everything Changes

The next day began just like any other however there was a vast frost that covered everything; everyone looked at it as if it was something alien especially as many had never seen it before. Soon it burnt off and the usual heat and humidity returned.

Unable to sleep for much of the night Skylar had packed a bag though in her anxious state she never could get it the way she wanted. Needing a break she headed out and took her usual stroll around the estate, though it all looked the same there was a notable difference. Many of the staff still milled about yet a few looked nervous, very nervous. Everywhere she looked there were subtle differences that only made her paranoia grow.

It was only when she turned up to breakfast did she realise something was really wrong. There was still no sign of Oscar or his people, then there was several of the staff acting strangely especially around her. She didn't understand why until she took a sip from her cup and her head swirled, looking around at the others she noticed them sprawled out across the table. In the last seconds before her eyes closed she could've sworn she saw Oscar greeting another man.

Skylar woke back in her bed, feeling sore and roughed up like she'd gone ten rounds with her old school bully, the thought of which brought a smile to her face. It hadn't been her finest moment but had made the guy back off and never bother her again; in fact he barely bothered anyone again after that.

She heard thudding along the veranda outside and the door suddenly swing open bringing much light with it, she shied away hiding her eyes from the light. Oliver quickly shut the door and breathed out, he looked the way she felt though seemed to be handling it better. He moved to her and wrapped her in his arms just like he did that night, all her thoughts returned to it and she burst into tears.

A few hours later they were both sat on the main patio with several bags beside them, Oliver checked through one bag searching for something.

"It's not in there" Skylar remarked knowing exactly what he was looking for, "it's still in the fridge." He looked as if she'd just gut-punched him then she smiled and pulled out the bar, he gave her an amused smirk then almost snatched it away.

"That's not funny" he retorted stuffing it into one of his bags.

"Was a little funny" she stated giving him a playful nudge.

"So where we headed" he quizzed prompting her to retrieve her laptop and boot it up onto an airlines website. He leaned over her shoulder making short comments every time she hovered over a destination.

Suddenly there was an almighty scream from inside; they both looked back in shock then turned to each other for any clue.

"Stay here" Oliver barked after a brief moment then he went inside, Skylar stuffed her laptop back into her bag and heaved it onto her back. Oliver soon reappeared, moving quickly with a look of sheer terror. "We need to go" he expressed pulling her away.

"Why what is it" she quizzed struggling free of his grip.

"Something bad" he sounded nervous despite his best attempts to hide it, "you were right, Camber's were up to something and it's bad."

"I need to get back into Oscar's office," she expressed pleading with her eyes, he always crumbled to that. "There's something else hidden there and we may need it."

"Stay right behind me" he told her sternly. Slowly they entered, Oliver checked the coast was clear then signalled to Skylar and they moved off, they made it all the way back to the corridor that Oscar's office was in with relative ease but that's where their good luck ended.

The way ahead was blocked; a person was hovering by the door to Oscar's office although as they edged closer they saw it wasn't quite what they expected. Oliver pulled a piece of pipe from somewhere and gesturing to her to stay put he took the person out in one clean swipe. Though momentarily stunned Skylar rushed to the door and was about to open it when Oliver stopped her. He goes in first he reminded her especially now.