Bonding/Hybrids

The following day, Ryan was still asleep in his room while having a weird dream. He had dreamt the same one for years without any knowledge of why. It always began with him walking through an old barn with a couple who seemed to be his parents. Before he knew it, the scene became dark, and the barn was in flames. He could hear screaming but was unable to find out where it was coming from. He ran in every direction, trying to get away from the growing flames. Suddenly a figure appeared in flames with glowing eyes, walking towards Ryan with a large sword. The figure had begun to swing the sword at Ryan as someone else blocked the attack with another sword. Ryan shouted something to the person as the flames consumed his vision.

Ryan woke up in a panic, his heart pounding and sweat running down. He couldn't help but wonder why he kept having this nightmare. Ryan knew what was going to happen, but it always scared him either way. He decided to shake it off. Ryan got out of bed, went to a nearby sink, splashing some water in his face. After a few minutes of deep breaths, Ryan put on some clothes and went to join the others.

Jen was listening to music with her earbuds as she watched everyone around her. Why should she get along with these people, let alone someone who isn't even related to previous rangers like the rest of them? This feeling wasn't towards everyone, mainly just Ryan. There was something about the guy that Jen couldn't trust without knowing why. Still aside from this, Jen wanted to get along with the team while keeping an eye on Ryan. She then looked around and saw Tommy with a lot of blueprints.

"Woah, kid," Jen told him. "You need all of this?" She asked. Tommy shrugged. "Just studying up in case we get our parents zords." He explained. "Also, there's some stuff that Dad left behind when he left this place," Tommy explained. Jen looked at him, shocked, which caused Tommy to stop working for a moment and look at her. "What's wrong?" Tommy asked. "Nothing, it's just," Jen said. "Aren't you only sixteen, and you know exactly what this stuff means?" She asked. Tommy chuckled. "Yeah, I get that a lot," He admitted. "Got that from my dad." He explained.

"Your father was very clever," Rebecca said, walking towards Jen and Tommy. "Wait, you knew him?" Tommy asked. "Not exactly," Rebecca admitted. "But at the time of my father's reign, your father was one of the rangers who I had met," She explained. "Only it was a version of him from the past, so I doubt he would've remembered me." She added. "What do you mean," Jen asked. "How long ago was it?" She questioned. "Well, for me, it's only been a few weeks," Rebecca explained. "But Justin Stewart was still a kid when I met him," She went on. "Meaning that for him, it's been years." She finished.

Jen listened as she noticed Ryan, keeping an eye on him suspiciously. She knew he was hiding something. Something doesn't feel right to her about Ryan. Whatever it was, Jen was going to keep her guard up around him. What if the Nighlok wasn't chasing him? Did that happen to be going on the moment they entered Panorama City?

Zeke came over to Ryan. "Hey, man," He said. "I could use a sparring partner," He offered. "You down for a match?" He asked. Ryan nodded and laughed. "Alright, you're on." He said. The two then got on the training mat, getting into positions. Zeke then took his place to attack, and Ryan defended. They both moved their arms and legs in ways that the other could counter. After ten minutes of this, Ryan suddenly kicked Zeke away and took his stance.

A few minutes after that happened, Rebecca came across Zeke and gave a friendly greeting. "Hey guys," Rebecca greeted. Zeke nodded his head back. "Rebecca," He replied. Rebecca glanced back at the fight between Zeke and Ryan. It seemed to go well until Zeke lost control of his power, causing his electricity to hit Ryan, knocking him down. "Holy shit, Ryan!" Rebecca shouted as she went to Ryan's side. Zeke was startled as he looked at the electricity still sparking in his hand. "I didn't mean to," He explained. "It was an accident." He added in a panic. Ryan shook his head as he sat up. "I'm fine," He said as he felt a pain in his side.

Rebecca looked at Ryan, surprised. "That was an insane amount of electricity," She explained. "How are you still alive right now?" She asked in confusion. Ryan shook it off and stood to his feet. "I'm just relieved that I am," He said, avoiding answering the question. "I'm just gonna get some air," He added before leaving the area.

A while later, Ryan was walking around when he noticed a girl walking nearby. The girl seemed to be keeping a close eye on him as she followed him. Ryan kept walking until he eventually went into an empty alleyway. Once the girl was close enough to him, Ryan turned around, grabbing the girl and pushing her into the wall. "It's just me." The girl said before Ryan realized who she was. "Meka," He asked, letting her go. "What are you doing here?" He asked. Meka sighed in annoyance. "You left Master Xandred on radio silence," She explained. "You know how he gets." She added. "I thought you couldn't stand him," Ryan told Meka. Meka nodded. "True, but I'm still a Nighlok," She said. "Well, half of one at least." Ryan corrected her.

"Why do you still work for Xandred anyway," Meka asked. "He doesn't care for people like us," She told Ryan. "He's just using you to get what he wants." She added. "Once he gets his hand on the Black Box," She explained. "He'll just use its power for himself." She warned. Ryan looked at her. "That's a lot of tough talk coming from a traitor," He replied. "So, where's Lynx and Selach?" He asked. "Hidden," Meka replied. "Because, unlike you, we're not willing to side with Master Xandred and his goons." She added. Ryan chuckled. "You're lucky he hasn't found you three yet." He said. "If you wanted to bring me to him," Meka told him. "You would've done it the second you saw me." She added.

The two stood in silence for a moment. Ryan was unsure how to respond to her about this. He started to walk off when Meka looked at him. "The rangers chose you," She reminded him. "Get out of Xandred's reign while you still can." She added. Ryan paused before taking a breath and looking at Meka. "I'm here for a mission," He said in a stern tone. "And I'm warning you to stay out of my way before you give me no choice." He said as his eyes glowed a reddish yellow. Mesa's eyes glowed a light blue. "I can still kick your ass, Ryan," She told him. "But fine, I'll leave you to it." She added before walking towards a crack in the alleyway. A red glow appeared, and Meka vanished into it.

Ryan's eyes turned normal as he took a breath. In a way, he knew Meka was right about Xandred. He also thought about being chosen by the rangers, despite him being half Nighlok. Did the mysterious Ranger know this? Even if so, why trust him to wield that power? Ryan then shrugged it off and blocked out the thoughts. He had a mission for Xandred. Whatever happens afterward, he can deal with then.