4.Indigo flowers......

'Dear Mrs. Periwinkle,

I know this reply is very delayed and I hope I haven't caused you unneccesary worry but I was on a business trip to Madhya Pradesh and didn't receive your letter until today. You are correct indeed in assuming that much development has taken place since I last wrote to you. I have been to the heart of India and seen fascinating people, one of them being an exotic creature who has seem to capture my interest. I can almost imagine you raising your eyebrows so here I'd like to assure you, madam, that my intentions are perfectly gentlemanly towards her. She has earned my respect with her air of civility and yet touching moments of simplicity and care-free disposition in moments of informal interaction. She is staying at my very own mansion for the time period as she looks over her Father's trade of tea export. She is indeed a businesswoman par excellence . She handles the employees with a firmness and at the time imparting a certain warmth, a handiwork only a woman can come up with, that she is both respected and yet loved. I daresay , with her kindness she gets more work done than a slave driver does throughout the day.

I have just noticed that her description seems to have acquired more than half my letter but yet again, I assure you madam I have no romantic inclinations towards her. She fascinates me, yes, but I find that the word "infatuation" makes a mockery of the purity of this relationship.

I have also bought Zari shoes ( shoes with bead work) especially for you which I'll post along with this letter. Do tell how are things back in London? Is your leg being stiff as it was last winter? Also kindly inform me if my parents have at last noticed my absence from the continent. Your love always nourishes me and has soothed me in the sourest of moments. I'll try to write more often.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas.'

I added a full stop and contemplated on the letter. Something seemed amiss, somethings which I should have written and a lot of things that I shouldn't have, especially about Durga.

I closed my eyes and recollected some peculiar events of the day. Today was interesting, sorry , I rephrase every day with Durga is interesting. She was herself overseeing the loading of Darjeeling tea and poured all her energy into it, her zeal inspiring the workers. I, on the other hand, was confined to my chamber, a munshi( whom my higher authorities thought would be an able teacher about Indian economics) had just re-adjusted his gold frame spectacles as he had started to dictate the benefits of Indigo trade , when Durga came bustling in with many a flare and flourish and outright accused the munshi of being a traitor. She said and I quote, " Its because of the likes of you that our country is still subjugated. You sit here counting merits of Indigo plantation while your own countrymen die!" I, of course, had no idea what had just unfolded in front of me but it is safe to assume that the munshi was so frightened that he won't be showing his boring face in my office for days to come.And what the devil was going on about this Indigo plantation? I had no idea.

I rose up and stifled a yawn. It was time for a well earned sleep. I put out the lamp and exited my study. After locking the door behind me I made it up the landing into my bedroom chamber and then I remembered- I had left the letter down in the study. I had to post it first thing in the morning and it was best to have it on my person. God knows how much I have troubled poor Mrs. Periwinkle after not replying to her letter for whole two weeks! I ran down the stairway, rounded the corner and then, stopped in my track for a very strange thing had occurred. My study door was wide open but its key lay safely ( almost tauntingly) in the pocket of the dark jacket that I currently wore. I stepped quietly inside the room and looked around for another occupant but found none . Then I started searching for a missing document, in case someone wanted access to classified files. Nothing was taken, however, a note was left behind. Written on an ivory coloured paper in an elegant, alien handwriting were the words- " Imperial Library, 4th row down to world economics, 5422."

_*_*__*_**__*_*_*_*_*_*__*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_**_*_*_*__*_*__*__*_**_*_*_*__**_

The next day I found myself standing before a large, intimidating building made out of white stone- the Imperial Library. I hastily jogged up the many stairs and glanced behind me, I had a feeling of being watched. I pushed open the Oak- double door and spotted a middle-aged Librarian sitting behind a desk with a large pile of books.

I greeted her and asked, " Where exactly is this World Economics section, Madam?"

She glanced at me as though I was completely off my 'chumps' to come bustling into a library at 9 in the morning but nonetheless, asked me to follow her.

4 rows down to it , book number 5422 was a short, narrow and an 'easy to overlook' book with a vague heading - the blue blood. I seated myself in a back corner and started reading.

' Indigo plantation was started in Bengal by East India Company in 1777. In those times blue dye was very much in demand and Indigo planters started forcing Indian farmers to grow Indigo instead of food crop. The farmers were given 2.5% of market price and hence, they made no profit. They were even provided loans but they were at such a high interest that not even their generations to come could re pay it.Relinquishing to the poverty and the tyranny of their masters, peasants are said to have sold their belongings, some even committed suicide .The farmers started a protest known as Indigo revolt, which was from all accounts a peaceful movement. It attracted much attention in Europe where people were shocked by such display of injustice meted out by their own country men.This incident has been adapted into many plays and novels....'

The next 30 pages described the incident in further details. I re-read the text in front me and I couldn't help but wonder- Why would someone want me to know about this?

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*__*_*__*_*_*_*__*_*_*__*_*_*_*__*_*__*__*_*__*_*_*__*_*_*__*__*_*_*__**_*

"Lord Fall!" an anxious voice shouted as I entered the drawing room.

" Mr. Jones", I nodded at my deputy as I placed a heavy briefcase on the side table, "May I inquire your reason of restlessness?"

He stared at me as though I have grown a second head and said, " They have struck again, sir!"

" And who exactly are 'they'?" I asked as I calmly sat down on the Devan.

" The brotherhood of rebels. The office of district collector was bombed this afternoon. Thankfully, there were no casualties. But, we have proof that you might be their next victim. We are so worried", he fiddled with his bow-tie.

" What proof are you referring to?"

" Sir", Ravij, who was silently standing next to me all this while finally spoke up, "This arrived for you today." He held out a white handkerchief, lying in the middle of it was a purple inflorescence- a branch from the Indigo plant.

A/N- Yo readers! I know this chapter is short but how is it?? Boring?? or maybe you'll like to read the next chapter? please review n vote ;) . And right now story is being named- Once upon a time (A Fall through time) and on 9th May , it'll be renamed to "A Fall through time"