8. The haunting...

Recap:-

"Of course I am, he is my fiance."

I definitely did not see this coming.....

Now:-

"He is your fiance?" My voice carried my utter shock.

" Well, not really ...." She trailed off, looking uncomfortable.

" It is a yes or no question, Durga. There is no option in between them."

She sat heavily on an arm chair, her loose strands casting a dark shadow on her face.

I glanced at the anxious expression on Ravij's face, he looked ready to be in any other place but this. Sensing my lingering gaze, he quickly filled a glass and handed it over to Durga. How curious !

" He was my fiance."

" He broke it off?" I felt very sorry for her.

"No. It is a very long story."

"I have all the time in the world." I sat on my bed again.

Ravij's head jerked towards me as if to remind me of my impending arrangements but my cool glance silenced his upcoming protests.

Her sigh escaped in the cool morning breeze.

" I was very young, some months old, when my parents arranged my nuptial with the son of Nagavanshis, who was a year elder to me . Mr. Nagavanshi and my father were friends. My mother died when I was five."

It was the first time that Durga had mentioned her mother but she spoke about it with such calmness, that it shocked me.

" I am sorry", I found myself saying.

"Don't be. It was years ago. I don't even remember her properly. Actually, it was Mrs. Nagavanshi who took care of me then. She was a very kind lady and always so giving", a sad smile adorned her face, " Dan was sent to London to complete his education when he was 9. It wasn't until recently ,when he heard of his parent's death, that he returned."

" How...?"

" The cause of their death is unknown. Let's just say that it was not due to natural causes." Her dark eyes glanced up at me, their smoky depths twinkling with emotions, " Dan was the heir to his father's business. He took over the position about three years ago but that is when strange news started reaching our ears."

" And what were these strange news?" I was really inquisitive now, who was this man who let go of this Angel?

" News about his ruthless business campaigns, he is clinical to the suffering of the peasants from whom raw material is taken at a very low price but that's not all...."

Her eyes now had a different tone, as if she was trying to convey a message, " It is strange but if anyone ever turns down his proposal, they are mostly found dead."

I was sure that my eyes were nearly hanging out of my socket, " Dead?"

" Yes. So, you can understand my Father's reservation when Dan decided to pursue our old engagement two years ago. My father firmly turned him down."

" So, you are free of any engagement now?" This thought made my insides sore with joy, don't ask me why.

Half a smile was visible on her rosette lips, " Yes, I am but Dan would like to think otherwise. He surely does not know how to take a 'no' for an answer but we have a saying for people like him in hindi- 'laton ke bhoot baton se nahi mantey.' "