[ 037 ] stay strong, mama

KILLER QUEEN

chapter thirty-seven ; stay strong, mama
[ season four, episode six ]

TODAY WAS APRIL'S FIRST DAY at Atwater And Steele, a law firm associated with Jorge Castillo

TODAY WAS APRIL'S FIRST DAY at Atwater And Steele, a law firm associated with Jorge Castillo. April exited the elevator, and the room she entered was filled with lawyers. "Dr. Coleman."

Marian made her way over to April with a smile. "Marian." She shook the lawyer's hand. "It's good to see you again."

"Likewise. Walk with me." April nodded and started walking next to Marian. "After you accepted the offer, I looked more into your background, and I'm impressed. You've achieved so much academically, which is impressive considering your age."

The two entered Marian's office. "I already knew how smart you were because of the case we worked together." Marian sat by her desk. "I mean, bachelor degrees, masters degrees, PhDs. Fluent in seven languages."

April nodded a little, brushing off the impressed look on Marian's face. "I would get bored and learn a new language." She took a seat opposite Marian.

"Photographic memory?"

"Eidetic," April corrected her. "I remember everything I read, basically."

Marian nodded. "That's something that's going to come to use when we work on cases. We have a client, and I'm leaving it to you to do a background check on her. Find out everything you can on this woman- where she likes to hang out, who she is friends with and related to. Everything."

"Yes, ma'am." Marian grabbed a file from the desk and handed it to April.

"Your new desk has your name on it, so it's easy to locate. Get started."

"Yes, ma'am." With the file in hand, April walked out of the office. Her desk wasn't far from Marian's office, and she found it almost immediately.

꧁ ꧂

WHEN APRIL SAW MARIAN EXIT HER office, she grabbed the piece of paper from her desk and approached her. "Marian."

"What did you find?"

"Jennifer's parents are Allen and Megan," April started. "Jennifer took over her father's company after he passed away due to natural causes, and her mother works in law enforcement. She usually hangs out at Shot Tower Coffee with her good friend, Leslie Doyle."

"Good." Marian smiled as she grabbed the paper from April— she then proceeded to hand her the folder she was holding. "I want that on my desk at the end of the day." She didn't give April the chance to respond because she walked away.

April went back to her desk, sitting down and placing the folder on the table. Before getting started on the assignment, she emailed Eddie Tate— Caleb's friend. April wrote that she was a law student looking to clear Caleb's name, and she wanted to meet.