The Interrupted Paper Trail

"I never took her as someone who valued punctuality."

Carmen hummed, rocking her heel that hung off the ground from her crossed leg somewhat impatiently.

"Well, it is the first-class express train to Agra City. I wouldn't want to be late for that either."

Player answered, hearing the faint creak of his chair in her earpiece receiver. The subtle sway of the fast-moving train tilted her knee to the side, the mid-morning sun a gloriously golden yellow through the ornate windows. She sat in the initial leisure cabin situated at one end of the train once entering and displaying her ticket, having only been able to catch the second 10 am stop before the long haul. Something that severely disadvantaged her, wanting to intercept her before being confined in such a situation.

After Paper Star made off with the Magna Carta from within the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya museum the night before, the want to intercept the next handoff had been the only way forward. Typically it would have already happened by now. Immediately if possible. The colder a freshly stolen item was in a VILE pawn's hands, the better. The more it lingered, the more precarious the situation became.

"I guess it would be frowned upon, especially in such company."

Carmen glanced casually around at the few other well-dressed patrons within the vicinity, none of which matched the neon coloured Paper Star she was after.

"Any news?"

She inquired, waiting to move from the starting point until Player gave her all the information on Paper Star's possible location as he could. He stayed silent, a few clicks on the keyboard the only thing between them before he answered.

"The only camera in the place is in the kitchen. And she hasn't gone in there."

He huffed out a little laugh in response, the corner of her mouth twitching up to a quick smirk.

"Paper Star has an all-access ticket, like you. So she has clearance from the leisure cabin, where you are, dining, rest quarters and the private V.I.P cabins upfront."

He explained as Carmen checked her phone for the time. Player worked quickly, ten minutes passing since she hopped on the train.

"Seems like it's up to me to do a solo 'search and rescue' hm?"

She answered, standing casually, slipping her phone into her pocket.

"Maybe."

He quipped back playfully, Carmen sliding open the exit of the leisure cabin, the rush of air a harsh juxtaposition to the warmed stilled interior.

"Maybe?"

She replied back louder, shutting herself out and in-between the carts. The train clacked along as she rested her back against the train beside the door, instinctively checking to see if anyone had followed.

"Seems you may have a few 'friends' aboard."

Player's voice mumbled weaker than before due to the loudness of the outside world, cupping her hand over her ear as she frowned.

"I don't remember making any long-lasting friends recently? Though, you do always seem to know me better than I do."

She smiled out to the landscape that unfocused her eyes to a squint.

"It's the natural charm, Red. Why do you think we are such good friends?"

He jested, Carmen turning behind to inspect the door ahead as the train shifted along the tracks.

"I always thought it was my fun, enigmatic personality."

She turned back once more, glancing through the small window fitted within the door.