Chapter Seven

Kayla sat in the middle of the sofa with Theresa Donovan and Stephanie on the right. A photo album was open on her lap, and the three stared down at a picture of a happy young couple standing on the cruiser's deck surrounded by their bridal party. The bride wore a fairytale dress made of blush silk satin with an overlay of French Chantilly lace well beaded with pearls, bugle beads and iridescent sequins. The dress's full skirt used the same blush silk satin with an underlay of silk chiffon appliquéd with more dots. On her head was her mother's bridal veil. She had been the only Brady daughter to wear it. Steve and Kayla's 1988 wedding was invalidated a year and a half later due to the appearance of a first wife named Marina Toscano, whom Steve thought to be long dead after an accident.

"It looks like a fairy tale, Aunt Kayla," Theresa breathed. She dreamed of a wedding of her own one day to her love, Brady Black, with whom she shared an infant son named Tate.

Kayla spent the New Year's Eve afternoon with the young women to help them plan Stephanie's wedding and redesign Kayla's twice-used wedding gown. The dress and fabric were still beautiful, but a slight alteration was needed to bring it into the twenty-first century, as the billowing sleeves screamed the 1980s. "It was a fairy tale," Kayla sighed as she turned the page. She and Steve had been to hell and back in the six months before that unforgettable day, and, at times, they both doubted they would ever get to that moment.

Kayla dreamed of being married on a yacht all her life, but she kept that dream to herself. Somehow, Steve found out about her fantasy and arranged the change of venue. Her mother and Kimberly brought her to the harbour early that morning to surprise her. They told her she would not be getting married at the Brady Fish Market as she had been expecting.

"Mama got her voice back when she went to say her vows to Papa," Stephanie told her cousin. The most magical part of the ceremony occurred when Kayla was filled with so much love for the amazing man who stood before her that she found the courage to find her voice and speak again. Instead of using American Sign Language to say her vows with the assistance of a matron of honour, Kimberly provided the words so that Kayla could pledge her love to Steve in her voice.

"Yes, I did. Our yacht wedding is still my very favourite." Kayla turned a page in the book into a portrait of the bride and groom at their 1990 wedding. Stephanie was an infant when they wed for the second time, making their vows finally legal. She and Steve attempted to make the marriage legal during the pregnancy. Still, before they could say their vows, Abe Carver arrived at their front door, interrupting the ceremony and arresting Kayla for the murder of Steve's now truly late wife, Marina. Stephanie was born while Kayla stood trial for the murder, and she soon broke out from jail. Stephanie's demented nanny kidnapped her to Australia. Isabella admitted to the murder of her half-sister, and the authority cleared Kayla of the charges against her. Stephanie returned to her parent's arms, and they remarried in the garden of Saint Luke's church.

As Kayla looked at the photograph, she recalled the moment Steve slipped the circle of diamonds that was her second wedding band on her finger. Candles and moonlight had lighted the church garden. They had a traditional Catholic Wedding ceremony, and Kayla felt it was the beginning of a new life. It was a glorious time full of happiness and love until a phony doctor injected poison into Steve's IV that fateful October night. He 'died in her arms and would be away from her for sixteen years. The courts declared their marriage legally valid in 2006 when Steve returned. In 2012, they lived in Africa, and Steve left her to rejoin the ISA to keep her safe. Kayla grew tired of waiting for him to return and file for a divorce that Steve did not contest.

"What about having a third?" Stephanie asked hopefully.

"Third?" Kayla smiled.

"Have you and Papa talked about it? You are together again, after all."