Chapter Thirteen

Kayla groggily came to. She clutched her head in her hands and massaged her temples. She felt like her head was about to split open, and nausea welled up in her throat. Her fingers probed into her hair for any blood or wound. Even though she felt like an axe was slicing open her head, she could not feel any swelling or clotted blood on her scalp. Where am I? She began to wonder as she raised her head and looked around the room. Someone had locked her in a closet with a design of an Asian Serpent adorning one of the walls. "Help!" Kayla called out.

Kayla stood up slowly, dizzy and still nauseous, and turned around to find a steel door. She pounded her fists against the metal and shouted," Help! Somebody help me!" She continued hitting the door for a few minutes and yelled until her voice grew hoarse. The last thing she remembered was visiting Ava this morning and warning her to stay away from her family, especially Steve and Joey. She had turned to leave and had one foot in the hallway of Julie William's Bed and Breakfast when she felt everything grow dark. Ava must have struck her from behind as she was leaving.

How in the world did Ava transport her here? Ava must have her mafia cousins still on her payroll, Kayla thought. The last time she was in Salem, her two beefy cousins, Tony and Angelo, were on her bankroll and assisted her in her dirty deeds. The cousins kept Kayla, Steve, Hope and Bo captive. They later kidnapped Stephanie once the others had earned their freedom. Ava, hospitalized for her mental illness and prescription drug addiction, had worked with her lawyers and paid off judges to get the cousins cleared of all charges against them. Was she in another part of the Vitali mansion she had been in years ago? If so, would Steve not look for her here? Ava had to have her stashed somewhere different. Kayla looked at her watch and saw that it was already early evening. She had been unconscious for hours. Steve should sound the alarm on her disappearance any time now. She would not have attended her hospital rounds and missed meetings with Stephanie and Theresa. Missing both events without calling first to apologize was unlike her. She would not have ignored any texts or calls Steve, or her children would have left for her during the day.

Steve would suspect Ava would be involved in her disappearance if missing. Kayla knew from experience that Steve would investigate every lead that came to him. This was not the first time someone kidnapped and held her against her will. She remembered thirty years ago when Steve had come to her rescue aboard the yacht she was being held on in the Salem River by Roman's nemesis, Orpheus.

October of 1986 

 Kayla and Steve returned from Stockholm. Steve had travelled to Stockholm with John Black, who had been living life as Kayla's brother, Roman Brady, due to Stephano DiMera's brainwashing. Hope had also been with them. Steve, shot in the shoulder while trying to escape Stockholm police, had been half-carried back to their hotel by Hope. She had panicked, called Kayla back in Salem asking for help, took care to stop him from further blood loss and bandaged him up as best she could. Back in Salem, Kayla was freaking out. She had been falling in love with Steve and could not bear the thought of losing him so soon after meeting him. Kayla got on a plane and flew halfway around the world. Steve had been on the road to recovery when she arrived at the hotel. Hope had taken her advice, and he soon regained all his sarcasm and strength.

Orpheus was after the group, as he needed to peek at Steve's tattoo. Along with Bo and Britta's, his tattoo showed where a set of missing bonds was. As Kayla was now involved with the group and the mystery of the Stockholm bonds, he knew he could use Kayla for leverage in getting the answers from Steve's tattoo.

Roman suggested using Steve as bait to lure Orpheus to the pier, but Steve was unwilling to take that risk. Steve went to the docks to talk to Roman. He was unaware that his constant shadow, Kayla, was looking for him at his basement apartment below Shenanigans. There, Orpheus apprehended her and held a gun to her head while they made a getaway to the yacht. On Orpheus' boat, he demanded that she call Steve to lure him into a trap. Steve burst through the door just in time to grab the ringing phone and panicked when he heard Kayla's voice pleading with him on the line.